Lawn Weed I cannot identify

Googled until my eyeballs are popping but cannot identify and therefore eradicate safely.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: DSCF2295.JPG | |Download:
||Filename: DSCF2296.JPG | |Download:
HerbyPeter

Looks like chickweed to me. See

HellT

of being furry/hairy.

Also the flowers are never white, always a purply black and they don't open up as 'normal' flowers.

It never grows higher than an inch or so.

Although it shares some properties with chickweed there aren't enough to convince me it's the same plant.

HerbyPeter

If it's in a bed, spray it with glyphosate If it's in turf, spray it with a broadleaf herbicide.

No fuss, no muss. If everyone had to specifically identify every weed, there would be a lot of weeds and a lot of frustrated folks.

Reply to
trader4

If we were not to be curios humans I guess we wouldn't have any gardens. :))

HerbyPeter

Whatever it is, it should respond to a broad leaf weed killer. I keep a discarded shower spray bottle full of weed killer mix to zap occasional weeds I can't identify.

Reply to
Frank

Would you be so kind as to recommend such a weed killer, Frank? I have some concerns about potential damage to the grass.

HerbyPeter

Using Kmart store brand Broadleaf Weed Killer. I think the Ortho product m= ay be Weed-B-Gone Max. Ingredients are the same. What ever broad leaf weed = killer sold in your area should be safe for your turf. They usually contai= n 2,4D. With products like Weed-B-Gone Max you can google up the label and = check it.

Reply to
Frank

Ah. I guess you're on the other side of the pond, Frank. Anyway, I'm listening to your advice and found seven which may be suitable so far.

Come back with my findings.

HerbyPeter

art store brand > Broadleaf Weed Killer. I think the Ortho product may be W= eed-B-Gone > Max. Ingredients are the same. What ever broad leaf weed kille= r sold in > your area should be safe for your turf. They usually contain 2,=

4D. With > products like Weed-B-Gone Max you can google up the label and ch= eck it. Ah. I guess you're on the other side of the pond, Frank. Anyway, I'= m listening to your advice and found seven which may be suitable so far. Co= me back with my findings. +------------------------------------------------=

-------------------+ +-----------------------------------------------------=

--------------+ -- HerbyPeter

Yes, I'm in US state of Delaware. The Ortho label lists grasses that the h= erbicide should not be used on and sometimes gives higher dilution needed f= or sensitive grasses. In US there are cold season and hot season grasses. I= don't knw what the UK grasses are. The old 2,4D is good on most broadleaf = weeds but I have problem with ground ivy best treated with their Max produc= t.

Ortho is also very good on the phone. I called them a while back about a p= roblem I have with Japanese stilt weed and nothing they have will touch it.

Reply to
Frank

Prunella vulgaris / Selfheal/ All Heal

Got a larger sample from a neighbour's lawn:

(see attached)

Thanks guys for your suggestions. The answer seems to be Vitax Lawn Clear.

HerbyPeter