Lawn Varmit Thanks

Thanks for all responses. My plan is to purchase one Hav A Heart trap at the tractor store. Catch a coon per night and give them a ride to my work site each morning. Open the trap in the parking lot and run. If this turns out to be fun, I'll share the experience. Regards, STOVEBOLT

Reply to
STOVEBOLT

In Oregon coons are a game animal and protected. You have to get a permit to trap them. Trapping and releasing elsewhere is illegal. Spreads disease. Better to kill them. Hide properly prepared is worth a few dollars. They can be eaten. How will you handle trapping a skunk?

Reply to
Pat

Jar of peanut butter works well for bait.

Reply to
Pat

Moving a raccoon a few miles is no problem for them. They can be back at your hose and a known food supply within a day or 2. I have a neighbor that trapped over 50 before he became aware he was trapping the same animals over and over.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

"Moving a raccoon a few miles is no problem for them. They can be back at your hose and a known food supply within a day or 2. I have a neighbor that trapped over 50 before he became aware he was trapping the same animals over and over. "

As I tried to point out before, raccoons and skunks don't just tear up a lawn for no reason. The only time I've seen this happen is when there is food, namely grubs, present in large numbers. And if that's the case, the raccoons are only part of the problem, as the grubs will destroy the lawn too. I'd be looking at fixing the real problem, not relocating varmits.

Reply to
trader4

On 10/13/2005 10:44 PM US(ET), Pat took fingers to keyboard, and typed the following:

Most states have hunting and trapping laws. Killing pests on your own property is is not considered either. Where I used to live and due to a rabies scare, any raccoons out in the daytime in residential areas were assumed to be sick and were destroyed by local police or animal control officers. Residents had to use something other than firearms to kill them (except beating them to death, which was considered cruelty, and punishable). It was an automatic death sentence for any raccoon that had insomnia. :-) The heads of destroyed animals had to be sent to the Health Department for rabies determination.

Reply to
willshak

Day-glo spray paint. Works wonders to convince those that think trapping and releasing elsewhere is a better solution that just killing the damn things outright.

Reply to
wkearney99

A 22 short right behind the ear is quick. The buzzards need something to eat also. When they are causing me problems I don't see any use of taking them someplace to cause someone else problems.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Reply to
Mel M Kelly