Lawn Tractor Won't Start

I let my lawn tractor sit for about a month without using it.

I went out to start it and it started up, but roughly. But I only let the engine go for about 15 seconds and then I had to shut down to deal with something else.

Now the motor won't start.

Battery is charged,

Engine cranks but won't start.

I took out the spark plug and attached it and grounded it to the engine and I get a spark when I crank the key.

I took off the fuel line and fuel is getting to the engine.

What might be wrong? Suggestions of what to try short of a mechanic?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Whitehouse

Try some "Starting Fluid" from an auto store.

Reply to
Stubby

Old gas, plugged fuel filter, plugged jet in carb.....

Try draining ALL the gas from the fuel tank and the carb. Refill with fresh gas....try again. If that doesn't work, it's likely a plugged jet in the carb due to old gummy fuel. Just my 2-cents

Reply to
Bg

Agreed. Probably bad gas, possibly water intrusion. Engine was on its choke cycle, and is probably flooded as well with gunk.

Reply to
Borg hater

Starter fluid is for charcoal BBQ's!

Argh!

Reply to
Joe Canuck

On 11/5/2005 7:04 PM US(ET), Alan Whitehouse took fingers to keyboard, and typed the following:

Been there, done that, just this month as a matter of fact. I left it out in the rain and water got into the tank through the gas cap, which was missing the plastic lens cover over the dial. Pulled the fuel line off the tank and drained the gas. Pulled the fuel line off the carb and blew through it to remove the water from the line. Put it all back together and started it up with starting fluid assist. It ran rough for a short period and then smoothed out.

Reply to
willshak

clean and gap the plug

put fresh gas in it

put a charger on the battery so it will spin fast

when it fires, hold it wide open and try to clear it out- you just may have a flooded cylinder condition

it would not hurt to remove the plug, put the plug wire away down to the side, and crank it over and clear the cylinder, and start over

Reply to
UNIVERSAL MIND