Lawn tractor will not turn off

Hello,

I have a White Outdoor LT-1850 Lawn Tractor (MTD). After jumping the mower because the battery was dead the engine will now not shut off even if you use the switch. To shut it down you have to disconnect the battery. After this you can connect the cables back to the battery and the engine will start up, once it starts up there is a loud buzzing noise and another thing is the PTO loses function. My first idea is the

starter soleniod is bad. Any ideas?

Paul

Reply to
grafgulch

I suspect the switch.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

If it won't shut off, I would suspect a bad ground first and then a bad switch. Where is the buzzing coming from?

Reply to
Artemis

last night I put a jumper cable on the solenoid w/ the switch on and it started right up. I went out and bought a new solenoid and now it still wont start at all. THe solenoid the lawnmower repair place sold me looks a different then what I am replacing, but is still a 12v solenoid. I am so confused. If the switch was bad I would not think I would be able to start it at all. I am going back tonight w/ my old solenoid to the parts store.

Reply to
grafgulch

last night I put a jumper cable on the solenoid w/ the switch on and it started right up. I went out and bought a new solenoid and now it still wont start at all. THe solenoid the lawnmower repair place sold me looks a different then what I am replacing, but is still a 12v solenoid. I am so confused. If the switch was bad I would not think I would be able to start it at all. I am going back tonight w/ my old solenoid to the parts store.

Reply to
grafgulch

your lawnmower isnot supposed to start with the switch in the on position. It should start with the switch in the 'start' position. So your test was not valid. Translation: could be switch. Test the switch.

Reply to
Cam

No offense intended, but if something this basic is confusing then you need to take it to the shop.

Reply to
Artemis

If he jumped to the starter side of the solenoid then it would start with the switch in the on position.

He is not giving enough info (likely because he doesn't know) to really diagnose the problem. He needs to get someone more knowledgeable to work on it.

Reply to
Artemis

yea but thats not testing the switch then

Reply to
Cam

I didn't say it was. I'd guess he doesn't know how to test the switch or the solenoid. He is just replacing parts that he thinks might be bad.

Reply to
Artemis

frustrating way to work on one unless you get lucky:)

Reply to
Cam

Not really - both parts are cheap, readily available and easy to change. If there is any doubt - change them. I've been using that approach for years - often picking up replacement parts on spec just because they were discounted and I knew that I would eventually use them. Fuel filters, line & shut-offs, spark plugs, switches, solenoids, battery terminals & cables.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Check the safety switches if you havent already

Reply to
me