Lawn tractor will not turn off

Hello,
I have a White Outdoor LT-1850 Lawn Tractor (MTD). After jumping the mower because the battery was dead the engine will now not shut off even if you use the switch. To shut it down you have to disconnect the battery. After this you can connect the cables back to the battery and the engine will start up, once it starts up there is a loud buzzing noise and another thing is the PTO loses function. My first idea is the
starter soleniod is bad. Any ideas?
Paul

I suspect the switch.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If it won't shut off, I would suspect a bad ground first and then a bad switch. Where is the buzzing coming from?
--
Art

last night I put a jumper cable on the solenoid w/ the switch on and it started right up. I went out and bought a new solenoid and now it still wont start at all. THe solenoid the lawnmower repair place sold me looks a different then what I am replacing, but is still a 12v solenoid. I am so confused. If the switch was bad I would not think I would be able to start it at all. I am going back tonight w/ my old solenoid to the parts store.
Check the safety switches if you havent already
last night I put a jumper cable on the solenoid w/ the switch on and it started right up. I went out and bought a new solenoid and now it still wont start at all. THe solenoid the lawnmower repair place sold me looks a different then what I am replacing, but is still a 12v solenoid. I am so confused. If the switch was bad I would not think I would be able to start it at all. I am going back tonight w/ my old solenoid to the parts store.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

position. It should start with the switch in the 'start' position. So your test was not valid. Translation: could be switch. Test the switch.
Cam wrote:

If he jumped to the starter side of the solenoid then it would start with the switch in the on position.
He is not giving enough info (likely because he doesn't know) to really diagnose the problem. He needs to get someone more knowledgeable to work on it.
--
Art

Artemis wrote:

Cam wrote:

I didn't say it was. I'd guess he doesn't know how to test the switch or the solenoid. He is just replacing parts that he thinks might be bad.
--
Art

Artemis wrote:

Not really - both parts are cheap, readily available and easy to change. If there is any doubt - change them. I've been using that approach for years - often picking up replacement parts on spec just because they were discounted and I knew that I would eventually use them. Fuel filters, line & shut-offs, spark plugs, switches, solenoids, battery terminals & cables.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No offense intended, but if something this basic is confusing then you need to take it to the shop.
--
Art