Lawn question

Page 2 of 2

I would just mind my own business if it wasn't effecting me. Unfortunate, the chemicals from Roundup, and Weed and Feed products are showing up in our city water supply. The City of Austin has requested that we (residents of Austin) quit using these products because of the water and also because of the numerous trees that we are bless with in Central TX.. My neighbor was going to use Weed and Feed on his yard close to where I have a grove of live oaks. Fortunately, we talked about it and he agreed with me. The city mailed a brochure explaining how these products are harmful. You may want to take your complaints to city hall.

You're right about using any product that may contaminate the environment. I admit to using a very small amount of bleach (1/4 cp per load of whites). We have a high efficiency washer that uses a lot less energy, water, bleach and detergent. But that is like being a little bit pregnant. I'll see if I can get along w/o the bleach.
Please, please discontinue using Roundup. Try using natural herbicides if you must. I've never used some of the organic suggestions (never needed to) but as I understand they are as effective without the disastrous effects.
The vegan example is a personal choice as I see it. To each his own and more power to them. But if that vegan uses Weed and Feed near my trees I've got a problem with that.
Have you ever considered how many people use Weed and Feed and Roundup and have never even read the instructions? I'm particularly worried about his because of the large number of illegals we have in Austin.

So, you admit to never using "some" of the organic suggestions, including the vinegar and orange oil you recommended, but based on your "understanding", you go around telling everyone else what to do and call those of us that use herbicides irresponsible? Make a lot of sense. When you've turned a 1/2 acre of what was all weeds into turf with the methods that you "understand" to work, get back to us. BTW, how long will it take you to pull those weeds and how long will it take?
As to your Austin city council, could it be that they are a bunch of environmental kooks that like you, don't have much real experience, but go around telling everyone else that they are irresponsible? Kind of like Al Gore with an electric bill that is 10X the typical American, who owns 3 houses and who flies on private jets, lecturing the rest of us on how we are destroying the planet with CO2 emissions?

No, you make it clear that you have a problem with anyone who uses any herbicide, whether applied correctly or not. Or do you think me applying Roundup here in NJ is going to kill your precious tree in TX? Why don't you go bitch to the farmers that routinely use Roundup on crops? Oh, my God, when you go to the supermarket abd buy some food, you're actually eating some of the ag product where Roundup was used without knowing it!

Following that logic, we should pull every over the counter medication from shelves because it's far more likely someone who can't read is gonna have far worse consequences from that then from applying Roundup. And maybe we should all stop driving cars too, because illegal aliens do that without a license.

tee hee