Lawn problems - expert comments req'd!

Hello.

I have moved to a house a year ago that is approx 30 years old, th lawn at the back slopes away from the house at a grade of approx 2 degrees. Large areas are in continual shade. One such area I tilthed up this spring and spread Shady Grass seed ove the area. This grew thick and strong and after a couple of cuts wa doing well. Part way through the summer it started thinning out and no I have an area of thin strandy grass that doesn't appear to be growin back hard as I would expect it to. The rest of the lawn looks pretty good on the surface, but is sufferin from moss infestation underneath which I have been raking out an spreading new grass seed over. Today after closer inspection I fin that great swathes of the grass come up and the grass has a ver shallow root and no strength to it. I pulled a good couple of squar feet up very easily to leave nothing but bare soil behind. I have started to areate the soil in places where it may be compact an preventing good grass growth, but I would have thought the darn stuf would be growing back quicker than it is. I am wondering if it could be leatherjackets nibbling the root syste away or just the moss growing underneath the thatch of the lawn.

Any thoughs/comment would be grately appreciated!

I am happy to post links to pictures if this would be helpful.

thanks

-- bru_tkd

Reply to
bru_tkd

For a question like this, you need to state where you live. Grasses grow differently in different climates.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

apologies - UK, west of London near Marlow, if that helps :

-- bru_tkd

Reply to
bru_tkd