Lawn mower edger help Please

So I have a regular push lawnmower. The only way i can get the lawn mower to start is to directly syphon gas out with a hose and put a few drops in the carburator. Then the mower will start for a few seconds until it drinks up the few drops of gas and it will dye. So I bought a new one because I couldnt fix it. Now my push edger is doing the same thing. It will only start when i directly put gas into the carburator and will run for a second or two until the gas it gone. I dont want to have to buy another edger just because of the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. HOW do i fix this? The lawn mower service people charge to much.,. Thanks Please post towards group.not my valid email. Phillip

Reply to
asdfa

Brand? Model?

Has it been sitting all winter with gas in it? Has the gas been sitting in a can all winter, waiting to be used (even a portion of it)?

What did you try, to fix it?

Again, is the gas old?

How long since you've changed the spark plug, or cleaned/regapped it? How long since you've cleaned/replaced/reoiled the air filter? Gas filter?

The information you've given is pretty vague. I'm not so sure I know what you mean by a "regular lawnmower". There are literally hundreds of push mowers, and dozens of engine manufacturers for them. Some have priming bulbs for cold starting, some have manual chokes, and some have both.

Most edgers that I've had are two stroke. Is yours, not?

More than a new one? I doubt it. There's nothing wrong with taking it to a shop, once a year, to get it ready to go for the season. Especially if you don't really know what you're doing, as far as maintainence goes.

Good. That's kinda the way the USENET works. ;)

Most aren't, save for fools.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Reply to
asdfa

How many times does the manual say to pump the primer?

Therein may lie the problem. Did you remove mixture screw? If so, did you properly seat it? (re: screw it all the way in, then back it out x number of turn(s), as per the manufacturers suggestion? What did you clean it with?

By "valve", I'm assuming you mean "choke"? If so, you need to cold start with the choke either fully or half closed (RTFM).

The gas in the edger may have begun to turn to varnish. This would gum up the needle valve, not allowing gas into the intake (or allowing enough fuel to provide the correct fuel-air ratio).

And, it's a four cycle engine, on the edger?

Again, you need to cold start with the choke closed. You need more fuel than air, momentarily, to cold start an engine.

Yes, but it still sounds as though you're not following correct cold-starting procedures. If you don't pour any gas directly into the carb, do you smell gas when you try and start the engine, as though it were flooding?

You should probably take it to a local shop. It's still cheaper than purchasing a new one.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

If it starts & runs with a few drops of gas in the carb, that eliminates everything except fuel starvation, meaning no fuel getting thru the carb. That is usually caused by a clogged fuel pickup screen in the tank, or a clogged jet in the carb. Both situations require pulling the carb, disassembly, and blowing it out with carb cleaner. Then you need to put it back together with a new carb kit. (gaskets & fuel "pump"). It sounds like you are not taking care of your machines at the end of the cutting season. NEVER let fuel remain in the tank/carb over the winter without a fuel stabilizer added to the gas. Otherwise you get the problem you have described for both units. BTW, the primer bulb does crack & is cheap & replaceable. Bob S. Bob

Reply to
Bob

If it starts & runs with a few drops of gas in the carb, that eliminates everything except fuel starvation, meaning no fuel getting thru the carb. That is usually caused by a clogged fuel pickup screen in the tank, or a clogged jet in the carb. Both situations require pulling the carb, disassembly, and blowing it out with carb cleaner. Then you need to put it back together with a new carb kit. (gaskets & fuel "pump"). It sounds like you are not taking care of your machines at the end of the cutting season. NEVER let fuel remain in the tank/carb over the winter without a fuel stabilizer added to the gas. Otherwise you get the problem you have described for both units. BTW, the primer bulb does crack & is cheap & replaceable. Bob S. Bob ______________________________________________ I agree it is probably a fuel problem, but may not require a carb overhaul. I'd get a can of carb cleaner and a can of starter (Either) fluid from any auto parts store.

Spray some carb cleaner in the carb air intake & pull engine starter a few time. Then I'd squirt a very little starter fluid in the intake and try to start it. If you can get the engine running for more than a few seconds, keep spraying in a bit of carb' cleaner. This may take care of the carb problem (if that's what it is) as well as disolving some gunk on the valves.

Another Bob

Reply to
Bob

Always worth a try. But that is not getting the carb cleaner where it's supposed to be. Spraying the air intake is putting the carb cleaner directly into the engine rather than running it thru the carb. Does nothing for varnish buildup in the fuel supply portion of the carb. Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
asdfa

Try finding it at

Doug G

So go to Sears and take a picture of one yourself. You're the one that screwed it up.

Reply to
Art

"So go to Sears and take a picture of one yourself. You're the one that screwed it up." Thanks for this helpful comment - you would have wasted less energy if you had not written anything at all - at the least, it would have served the same purpose NOTHING! , but then again not being a mean person, I will thank you for the earlier useful postings. And the reason I asked someone else to take a picture of their own machine, was because I didnt think Sears would take it kindly if I started taking apart a working lawnmower to get to the part I needed. I at the least don't walk behind the counter at lets say..... -Mc Donalds- and fetch my own Mc Flurry because I want it, its not my place and therefore not my money if I was to break something trying to get what I needed at Sears or in my example Mc Donalds. Thanks again.

Phillip

Reply to
asdfa

I have no sympathy for idiots that take things apart and do not pay enough attention to be able to put them back together again. I have no patience for idiots that mix top posting with bottom posting and even properly quote what they reply to. Maybe making a McFlurry is something you could get right...

Reply to
Art

Phillip, have you gone to Sears parts online? They usually have exploded parts diagrams, which may show how your engine goes back together.

Reply to
trader4

Others have covered specific things to do/try/look for, so I won't jump into those.

But, I can recommend a good book published by Briggs and Stratt> So I have a regular push lawnmower. The only way i can get the lawn mower

Reply to
Andrew Duane