Lawn Mower Battery Problem

Page 2 of 2

Haven't gone out of town yet. I checked the disconnected battery today 24 hours after yesterday. Now the drain is 4V! Why would it vary (just sitting there)? The battery is still 10V potential of course.
"Haven't gone out of town yet. I checked the disconnected battery today 24 hours after yesterday. Now the drain is 4V! Why would it vary (just sitting there)? The battery is still 10V potential of course"
What you should be measuring is the amps that are being drawn by inserting an amp meter in series with the battery. Inserting a voltmeter like you are doing won't tell you what the actual drain is, only that there is one. And the drain is likely varying because a short somewhere isn't going to be perfect. It can vary from a few microamps to 100amps depending on what's going on, like humididty, temp, if the short is rubbing against something, etc. One thing for sure, if it reaches the 100 amp point, you'll likely find it real quick. BTW, I wouldn't leave the mower in my garage with a likely short and the battery connected.

You are correct, however, how many amps flowing through the short won't help much. While it might give an experienced electrition a clue as to what's faulty, few tinkerers who post questions in a newsgroup such as this will likely even have an amp or multimeter, much less one that can read over 10 amps without blowing a fuse or worse. The fact that there's still voltage across a supposedly open circuit is enough to know that there's a short, and to trace the problem.

I'm feeling a little stupid for not suggesting that. Good call.
Pagan
wrote: BTW, I wouldn't leave the mower in my garage with a likely short and the battery connected.
It is parked in a stand-alone shed with battery disconnected. Except for the fact that the shed is close to the house, it should be somewhat fire-safe in so far as being a fire hazard.to the house.