lawn mower

Neee a new one Lowes has a Troy-Bilt for $279 and Home Depot has a Toro for the same price. Features are pretty close. My honda 13 years of heavy use is too worn out to fix:( Which brand should I get? John Saint Charles, MO
Buy another honda. They last forever and there rated the best.Sure they cost more but there worth it.

On 1/9/2005 8:05 AM US(ET), Romy Beeck took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Forever? His Honda lasted 13 years. My Craftsman is over 20 years old and still running with its B&S engine. Looks like shit, but still works.

--
Bill

On 1/8/2005 9:26 PM US(ET), John Prokovich took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

That's a tough one, John. They are both Red, so that eliminates having to make a color choice. Price is the same too. Features are pretty close. Do they both have a motor, blade, wheels, and a handle? What other information have you provided? Oh, the name on the decal that indicates the company that outsourced the manufacturing of the mower. I don't have either brand, and my 20 year old Craftsman won't die, so I can't justify buying one with a different name to try. I'll have to choose using some other criteria. I'm from NY, and there is a city named Troy here, besides, Toro reminds me of Barcelona, Spain, where the beer was salty, so I vote Troy. Oh, and I like the wider aisles in my Lowes.
--
Bill

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:26:53 -0600, John Prokovich wrote:

Good day John. I would have serious doubts that a lawn mower that costs less than $300.00 will last for more 5 years of heavy use. It sounds like you use your mower enough to warrent the purchase of a high end consumer mower or a low end commercial mower. I would assume that you would be very disapointed when your in need of fixing this machine in two years.
If your willing to spend say.. $450.00 you could get a new, mid level consumer honda. Or you could find a used commercial toro/john deere/ honda that will last 10+ years easily.
Before you or someone eles goes off on me about this or that... I suggest that you take a good hard look at those big box store mowers and compare them to your dead honda. The deck metal is thinner/cheaper all the way down to the wheels made of cheap plastic instead of rubber. The push bars are made of pot-metal and the moter are just crap. Just my observations as of late, take them as you may. Good luck with your mower purchases.
--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com

A mower less than $300 won't last 5 years ? I have 2 el cheapos ($150 each) - identical, one from Wards and the other from Penny's (MTD I guess) - single lever height adjustment, baggers, convertable side or rear discharge - that I use to brush hog small sumacs, berry bushes, my drainage ditch, suck up leaves, volunteer mow cemetery, etc - that are doing fine. Can't remember how old they are but Wards has been out of business that long and Pennys stop selling hardware long ago.
On 1/9/2005 1:35 PM US(ET), Srgnt Billko took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

http://www.wards.com/wards/page1.asp?pid=8
--
Bill

Thanks for the heads up. Very interesting.

">

come close to a cheap mower made 15 yrs ago.
still use my 2 stroke Lawn Boy that I bought use for $25. back in 1978. There is nothing to wear out. I was just in my garage and pulled three times. it started, in January Couldn't tell you if they still make them.

I think he's also forgotten that a mower that cost $150 back when Montgomery Wards was the alternative to Sears and HD didn't exist, now costs a lot more than that, when adjusted for inflation. Another overlooked fact is how much use a mower gets. A person with a small lawn who mow once a week, could get many more years of use out of someone who cuts 1/3 of an acre more frequently.
I have a Honda Harmony 215 that is fantastic. Reliable, mulchs excellent so the lawn looks great, and quiet.