lawn mower

Neee a new one Lowes has a Troy-Bilt for $279 and Home Depot has a Toro for the same price. Features are pretty close. My honda 13 years of heavy use is too worn out to fix:( Which brand should I get? John Saint Charles, MO

Reply to
John Prokovich

Romy Beeck

On 1/8/2005 9:26 PM US(ET), John Prokovich took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

That's a tough one, John. They are both Red, so that eliminates having to make a color choice. Price is the same too. Features are pretty close. Do they both have a motor, blade, wheels, and a handle? What other information have you provided? Oh, the name on the decal that indicates the company that outsourced the manufacturing of the mower. I don't have either brand, and my 20 year old Craftsman won't die, so I can't justify buying one with a different name to try. I'll have to choose using some other criteria. I'm from NY, and there is a city named Troy here, besides, Toro reminds me of Barcelona, Spain, where the beer was salty, so I vote Troy. Oh, and I like the wider aisles in my Lowes.

Reply to
willshak

On 1/9/2005 8:05 AM US(ET), Romy Beeck took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Forever? His Honda lasted 13 years. My Craftsman is over 20 years old and still running with its B&S engine. Looks like shit, but still works.

Reply to
willshak

Reply to
Romy Beeck

Good day John. I would have serious doubts that a lawn mower that costs less than $300.00 will last for more 5 years of heavy use. It sounds like you use your mower enough to warrent the purchase of a high end consumer mower or a low end commercial mower. I would assume that you would be very disapointed when your in need of fixing this machine in two years.

If your willing to spend say.. $450.00 you could get a new, mid level consumer honda. Or you could find a used commercial toro/john deere/ honda that will last 10+ years easily.

Before you or someone eles goes off on me about this or that... I suggest that you take a good hard look at those big box store mowers and compare them to your dead honda. The deck metal is thinner/cheaper all the way down to the wheels made of cheap plastic instead of rubber. The push bars are made of pot-metal and the moter are just crap. Just my observations as of late, take them as you may. Good luck with your mower purchases.

Reply to
Timothy

each) - identical, one from Wards and the other from Penny's (MTD I guess) - single lever height adjustment, baggers, convertable side or rear discharge - that I use to brush hog small sumacs, berry bushes, my drainage ditch, suck up leaves, volunteer mow cemetery, etc - that are doing fine. Can't remember how old they are but Wards has been out of business that long and Pennys stop selling hardware long ago.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

On 1/9/2005 1:35 PM US(ET), Srgnt Billko took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Wards is back.

willshak

Thanks for the heads up. Very interesting.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

">

You should try a cheap mower today. There worse then evern. They dont even come close to a cheap mower made 15 yrs ago.

Reply to
op4_camper

still use my 2 stroke Lawn Boy that I bought use for $25. back in 1978. There is nothing to wear out. I was just in my garage and pulled three times. it started, in January Couldn't tell you if they still make them.

Reply to
Justbrilliant

I think he's also forgotten that a mower that cost $150 back when Montgomery Wards was the alternative to Sears and HD didn't exist, now costs a lot more than that, when adjusted for inflation. Another overlooked fact is how much use a mower gets. A person with a small lawn who mow once a week, could get many more years of use out of someone who cuts 1/3 of an acre more frequently.

I have a Honda Harmony 215 that is fantastic. Reliable, mulchs excellent so the lawn looks great, and quiet.

Reply to
trader4