Lawn mower

I have a year old Cub Cadet SC 621 walk behind lawn mower. It has a starting problem. It is extremely difficult to pull start. It appears the compression prevents the starter cord from being pulled. A neighbor suggested, perhaps the carb. bowl might be leaking and letting gas in the cylinder/s. I took the spark plug and no liquid gas is apparent. It pulls extra easy with no spark plug (so it must be compression holding it back). Could there be a compression release not working? Is there such a thing in a Cub Cadet? Help anyone?

i've seen the compression release break on a briggs a few times, or if it seems to kick back when pulling it could be a timing key Chip
There may be gas in the cylinder. Pull it through several times with the plug removed to pump out any gas.