Lawn is flowering

My grass seems to be the right color, but doesn't really grow too fast. This year, for the first time that I can recall, the top of the grass is flowering. Except for looking differnt, I don't know that this is a problem. Does anyone know if I should try something to keep this from happening.
--mike

This
Mine too. I've never seen this happen before. Maybe it's a new type of weed and not grass? I have no idea.
Bonnie
BonnieJean wrote:

I noticed the same thing. It's definitely the grass.
We had a bit of a drought last summer and fall, enough to kill some of the grass; so I wonder if this is a natural, protective reaction of the grass -- premature self-seeding???

No. It's annual grass producing seed.
Steveo wrote:

NO. It is NOT "ANNUAL" grass producing seed. The grass in MY lawn is NOT ANNUAL grass.

It's grass that is flowering?

Can you pick the flowers and put them in a vase?
Annual grasses are considered by most to be weed. Under the right conditions, they can take over a lawn with perennial grasses. Especially true if you cut your grass fairly short.
How exactly are you so certain you don't have annual grass seeding?
CW
On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:49:48 -0500, in alt.home.lawn.garden you wrote:

No. It's annual grass going to seed.
Steveo wrote:

NO. It's NOT ANNUAL GRASS GOING TO SEED.
My lawn, and the lawns in my neighborhood, are a well-established typical mix of various northern PERENNIAL grasses, primarily Kentucky bluegrass with some ryegrass and fescue.
AS I SAID, I have noticed that my lawn, as well as neighbors' lawns (one of which is owned by the owner of a lawn service and is 100% Kentucky Bluegrass) have produced an EXTRAORDINARY amount of seeding this Spring.
I've also noticed an extraordinary amount of assertions, based on ZERO observations, by what APPEAR to be PERENNIAL TWITS on alt.home.lawn.garden; however THEY, I will admit, might be ANNUALS. ;-)

Hey dumbass, no one has 100% perennial bluegrss. You and your expert neighbor are looking at annual bluegrass and or rye going to seed.
Yore welcome.

Those are annual grasses producing seed.

This
We need to know where you live Mike, and if you know the type of grass that you have.
Peter H

Some annual.
Salt Lake Utah, Kentucky Blue, it seems to be unique to my lawn. I don't see it happening to most of my neighbors. (I wonder if it's the "grass is greener" deal, where it really is happening more often, but I am more observant of my own).

that
Mbt6 wrote:

Mike,
I'm a bit south of you in Spanish Fork and my lawn is doing the same thing. (It is the Bluegrass going to seed, not annual grass.) I've been told not to worry. Just keep watering, fertilizing and mowing.
Russell

You mean Poa Annua, right?
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/poaan.htm
Thanks.......sections are looking much better, those that I put the most ammonia sulfate.

see
Heh, that won't stop the Poa from dying.