Lawn height in a drought

Hi all,

Here in the Pacific Northwest they're already predicting a drought for this summer due to our lack of snow-pack in our mountains.

This brings up a question that I've thought of many times but never asked.

In a drought situation is it better to cut one's grass short because there's less of it to need the water or --- to leave it long on the premise that the blades shadow the ground and, possibly, help to lessen the evaporation ?

All the best,

Perk (:>)

Reply to
Perk

snip:

Longer is better. Helps keep the weeds down too.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

Yes, cut it high for the reasons you mentioned..the shade also helps to lower the soil temperature a bit too.

Reply to
Steveo

I would suggest that you aim for 2 3/4 to 3 inches in the summer 'round here. It will still brown off in the end, but the weed invasion will be much less.

I would also suggest that you fertilize the lawn before the end of april. A healthy lawn will fare much better in the drought and come back from the drought better.

Good luck to you.

Reply to
Timothy