Lawn Food Question

I have some lawn food left that I put down in the fall. Can I use it come spring rather that throw it away?

Reply to
Boots Crofoot

Sure. It makes good starter fert for seeding too. It doesn't contain the crabgrass preventer that you may need in the spring tho..

Reply to
Steveo

I don't know where you're located or what type of grass you have, but for cool season grasses, you could make another application 6 weeks or more after your last one. You may be pleasantly surprised at how quickly your lawn greens up in the spring. You also won't run into over-fertilizing in the spring.

Since most turfgrass is either in some stage of dormancy or high root growth mode, the amount of N in the formulation shouldn't be a problem. I use a

46-0-0 formulation between Thanksgiving and Christmas as a winterizer on tall fescue. I've also used a preemergent along with it on some lawns where I've had weed problems - mainly poa annua.

Personally, I wouldn't store it. I stored fert with ice melt in a shed one winter and mice tunneled through the hardened fertilizer. It was sealed up nice and tight until they decided to chew through the bags! Had to throw the lot of it away.

Good luck!

Barry

Reply to
Barry Thompson