lawn feed and weed

hey all

was wondering if anyone can advise me on a good weed and feed fo autum

regards

mat

-- goober

Reply to
goober

  1. An answer to your question really depends upon your location and the type of turf which you have.
  2. Generally, a weed-and-feed is unnecessary -- it's a victory of marketing over good practice and amounts to overuse of pesticide. Also, to keep the "weed" part from damaging the turf, the "feed" part contains a very high amount of soluble nitrogen, also not the best choice for good turf. If you have so many weeds you have to weed the entire yard, best to just start over -- otherwise, spot treat the weeds by themself and use a good lawn fertilizer suitable for your area.

Your handle suggests you live in the south and may have St. Augustine grass. Lesco makes several good lawn fertilizers -- pick one with a moderate amount of nitrogen, most of which is insoluble, and low potassium -- their best is under the Lesco Professional name.

Reply to
JimR

The other problem with weed 'n' feed is that when you spread it you'll be adding weed killer to your gardens. It's counter productive at best.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

I know there will be many diffrent opinions to this but here it goes: Fall is typically the time to seed your lawn, I wouldnt worry about weed and feed until Spring time.

Reply to
Peter Pan
[...]

To me, it says "chocolate covered peanuts". =P

Where's /that/ come from, outta "goober"?

[rest snipped]

Never guess, Jim. ;)

Tracing route to 90.197.168.11 I got no replies after:

11 cr0.lcaor.uk.easynet.net (87.87.248.252)

As weird as the net acts sometimes, I doubt that my pings went all the way to GB, and then back to the bayou. ;)

(I'll give ya that "South Wales" is a /possibility/, but I doubt St. Augustine will grow there.) =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

From all I have read, weed & feed is a terrible product to use. Primarily because it spreads a herbicide on everything whether needed or not, and it can damage other plants - even trees.

Frankly, I'd find a different way to handle the weeds and never buy weed & feed. Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

Don't use a broadcast spreader for powder broadleaf weed control. That's what drop spreaders were made for. (streak-masters)

It's fairly effective if applied correctly. (follow the label closely)

Reply to
Steveo

Eggs, Now your a detective? I found London.

(nice site)

13458987-RIPE/EASYNET-SKY-EXCHANGES cr0.lcaor.uk.easynet.net 87.87.248.25280.3ms United Kingdom London, City of London Easynet

MMM Goobers........

Clark

Reply to
Clark

He doesn't say anything about his lawn needing seeding. And even if it did, you'd seed a lawn full of weeds without dealing with them first?

Nothing wrong with dealing with weeds in the Fall. Many weeds will continue to grow into winter and even beyond into next Spring if they are not taken care of now.

Reply to
trader4

manure and compost. just make sure it's ph balanced and heated.

Don't use "weed and feed" if you have any large trees. Follw directions carefully. If your neighbors have large trees I wouldn't use weed and feed near their house. But then again I wouldn't use weed and feed. I can't believe people buy it.

-- it's a victory of marketing

If it's St. A grass you don't need any weed and feed ~ just weed it. the grass will win.

thanks.

i got some milorganite 6-2-0. about 3 weeks ago. worked well after it watered in. just put down some dillo dirt and it really took off again. the rain helped. nothin works like good old soil conditioner and some water.

Reply to
jthread

I'm really glad to see people are starting to wake up to this.

I noticed Scott's has a "all natural" fertilizer too. how funny.

Homedepot and Lowes had 100's of bags of weed and feed in the aisles and I wonder how many people actually read the instructions before using.

That crap shouldn't be sold here at all. Too many trees.

Reply to
jthread

Very true. The problem weed of my area is henbit. It sprouts in the fall, winters over, goes wild in the spring, dies early summer, then repeats in the fall. If you want to control it, October is the best time with pre-emergence or weed killer just after it sprouts. Those who think fall applications are unnecessary are not thinking beyond their own yard. A very common mistake in this forum.

KC

Reply to
KC

[....]

something you said here caught my eye, "not thinking beyond their own yard" it's a sad sad truth concerning the self centered need for satisfying ones own desires.

today in america peoples desire for the lush thick mono turf type green lawn has produced an environmental hazard just beginning to unfold and tell it's story. current trends have the 100' by 100' lawn receiving more herbicides, insecticides and chemical fertilizers than the typical farmer applies to an acre of land. further contributing to the unfolding disaster in the making is how neighborhood lawns are totally unregulated with regard towards runoff which sends these chemicals directly into the water supply.

"not thinking beyond their own yard"

here in central NC we are experiencing one heck of an on going drought. water restrictions have been in place now for several months and just recently tighter restrictions went into place allowing for lawns to be watered only one day a week.

an article appearing in today's N&O presented an excellent exemplification of peoples selfish stupidity when it comes to "not thinking beyond their own yard".

ok, stepping down from my portable soapbox for a moment lets give consideration to the aspects of having a nice lawn while thinking beyond our own yard. first consideration should be for shared resources such as water. when a drought such as the one we are experiencing here in NC severely limits the amount of water available to the local population, priorities of importance need to be established. a simple question should be put forth and that is, how long can you the human continue without water to sustain your body? which is really more important, water to drink or water to irrigate a lawn?

I full well realize I'm only a simple country boy, semiliterate, uneducated and therefore hardly qualified to render an answer to the above stated question concerning the important uses of water when it's availability is severely limited. but do consider this, after you've died from dehydration will you be able to visually appreciate the lust green well irrigated lawn? duh!

the vast majority of lawn owners are totally unaware of the organic alternatives available today. they instead waddle into the local big box store and being the quadruple chin porker beast they are see grub control product and make the purchase without ever reading the label or seeing the words Merit or Dylox. even worse is how they'll apply the product without reading the application instructions contained on the product labeling. how many times in this very forum have we seen the question, "how much should I apply" followed by Eggs saying "did you read the label?" and to further exemplify the disaster in the making we're expecting a population of quadruple chin porker beast creatures who can't even feed themselves a correct portion to figure out how to apply 2.5 pounds of product evenly over 100 square feet of lawn! get real, it just ain't going to happen...

Jim

Yea, thanks for the bore-athon Jimmey go hug a fricken tree already (you could have just posted a link there big guy) I just pick the weeds and make a friggen salad with 'em

Clark

Jim wrote:

Reply to
Clark

It was a long post. I usually scan only for the highlights.

I was just thinking how this group had done a 180 for the good then you post that. Well... that's more like it.

It's like being sprayed in the face with bug spray. :^(

seriously kids, get your pets spayed and neutered

Reply to
jthread