lawn drainage

i have a fenced square relatively flat lawn that is south facing, i
gets the sun most of the day, however i have found that the lawn doesn drain very well at all and even in the summer is quite damp and the bac 40 % of the lawn is thick with moss. i have dug a few inches down and i does appear to be some clay present.
i have been advised to do several things including: a 2ft by 2ft soakaway at the lowest point { not really an option as have other gardens surrounding me and i fear affecting them as a resul of this},
a herringbone drainage system to an existing drain : either using a: garden liner based 4inch trenches filled with fin chipings or b: circular porous drainage pipes in the above mentioned 4inc trenches { a costly possibillity},
and { the easiest option and possibly cheapest in my case } to rotivat in a couple of tonnes of sand, level the lawn and start again with see or turf.
im really stumped as what best to do as i want to do it "right" firs time and not have to be looking on here for answers this time next yea again!
any advice would be great! cheers
-- THETWYS

Not only do not have the answer to which option is the best for your problem which sound like mine, i have another reasonable appearing suggestion given to me; lay down 1/4 inch of crushed rock (not gravel, which is rounded, you need the sharp edges, they tell me) and another 1/4 inch of good compost on top of that and reseed.
z;793047 Wrote:

hi mate thanks for your reply! that is indeed a new idea! have yo done it yourself? does it work? im seriously open to suggestions! i v had other advice from other forums and this is a new possibility! an rough info on the cost would be great! thanks for your time i replying!~ the twys
-- THETWYS

haven't tried it but am seriously thinking of it. might just do a limited test in one corner.

Sorry but a 1/4 inches of any gravel will do nothing, in fact try to find any gravel that is less than 1/4 inches in diameter that can be spread other than stone dust also known in some areas as screenings. And a 1/4 of compost over top won't add any help. The OP's thought of adding a couple of tons of sand won't do much either, depending on the soil area you will need enough sand to mix 50/50 with the heavy clay soil to start loosening it, and this may take many tons of sand.
I used to live in an area where the soil was very heavy clay based, in fact the area was a mecca for clay brick making plants, and I have only found that adding lots of organic material will loosen the clay, and I have read that adding gypsum will work too. I agree you should test small areas to see what works on your particular type of clay.
thanks very much for your response! im still open to options as thi
blasted weather has put my efforts off for a week or so! ive calculate id probably need two tonne of sharp sand and approx a ton of top soi and well rotted manure to cover the area! and also a good rotivator thanx again
-- THETWYS