Lawn confusion

Hello, i live in the north of england and have recently bought a house
In the backgarden the previous owners had plastic sheeting with wood chippings on the top. Today i have taken up everything to discover soil which is more like clay: wet, slippy an conpletely compressed together. The plan was to turf the area but seeing the condition of the soil i am unsure of how to proceed. Just a little more information: we have a labrador puppy and are deaperate to get her out into the garden!!!
Hope somebody can help!! Thank you.
--
AmySimpso

I would bet if you google "how to install sod" or similar you'll find lots of information and help.