Lawn

No pictures available.
Have some kind of foliage that is very similar to St. Augustine. However, it grows much taller/quicker. Its seems to be a grass type. Blades of it are sectionalized into 3 sections, vice 2 for St. Augustine. Grows about twice the rate for the blades/leaves, but, does not seem to spread the same way. Is localized, not prolific. Color is virtually idential to St. Augustine.
What is it? How do I get rid of it? Dave

Johnson Grass?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Dave said:

Blades in triplets makes it sound like some sort of sedge grass. If it were in my lawn (in Michigan) I'd be thinking nut sedge.

Googling nutsedge, St. Augustine, and lawn popped up this answer early in the results:
    Use imazaquin (Image).
Cannot vouch for it personally, though. I had a section of the lawn torn up and reseeded when we has street improvements put in, and I eliminated the nutsedge in that section by hand pulling.

Dallisgrass? If it is, you pull it up by hand. http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/pasdi.htm

How anyone can expect anyone to identify a grass/weed without even a picture is beyond me. Many times, even with a picture it's impossible to tell for sure.
On 8/25/2007 9:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

the suspense is killin' me. Just exactly what did you trader4? :-)
--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

Not it, but found this interesting if you have cattle. http://www.ncsu.edu/forage/dallis.htm
The foliage in question is almost identical to St. Augustine blade-wise. Before I cut one area around a water faucet, was over a foot long. Extremely little drooping, no wavy feature as I saw in many pictures of dallisgrass. No seeding features, just blades. Doesn't appear in clumps like pictured in Dallisgrass. I do have some Dallisgrass around here, along with buffalo grass. Both are clumpers. This breed doesn't appear to be so.
Cue me in how to upload pictures, and what websites support that? Would like to provide weblink to pictures for your gander. Dave

I'll just cut and paste Omelet's excellent advice: [clicking the news: link should open up the group in OE]
If you want to post them here, post them at http://www.tinypic.com harvest the URL's and post those links here.

Thanks.
I generally stay away from binaries for 2 reasons. Potential infection problem, and I only have dial-up.
Thanks for the weblink. I'll go out and take some pics for more descriptive info. Will repost, as I cut the front lawn very recently. Will let the stuff grow back so its easily visible. Dave

Understood.
Tinypic has been a godsend. And it makes it so I don't have to burn the limited space on my personal webspace.
Plus it's anonymous. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.