Killing fleas

My boys (1 & 2 years old) are getting bit by fleas in our backyard. Yesterday when I mowed I had hundreds on the deck when finished. We've started using insect repellant on the boys when they're outside, but how do I get rid of these things. I've never seen them so bad, even when we had a dog.

Now and then I'll spray Malathion on all the grass and dirt around the house. Kills all the fleas, ants, and practically everything else except black widow spiders.
I use a 2 gallon sprayer with a little Malathion and a lot of water. The Malathion bottle will tell you how much to put in. Try to keep the kids and pets away for a couple days, and do it after mowing the lawn.
Pagan
Pagan wrote:

I believe malathion is harmless to humans. It is the chemical used by mosquito control sprayers in most towns. Ignore the paranoids that complain that it is a "chemical."

I don't know about "harmless." I've been in areas where it was sprayed by helicopters, and had to put up with burning eyes and sneezing. Could have been the malathion, or it could have been the carrier agent or bait. It also leaves nasty droppings on cars. Either way, it is a poison, and thus can't really be called harmless.
On the other hand, spraying highly diluted malathion directly onto grass and dirt, as opposed to crop dusting entire cities, should be much less problematic.
I'd still keep pets and children away for a bit.
Pagan