John Deere L110 vs L118

I'm considering the above two lawn tractors for a semi-flat yard less than

1/2 acre.

I know what enhancements the JD L118 has over the L110: seat, rear tires, V- twin engine for $200 more.

However, it's the engine upgrade I wonder about. What are the opinions of the single cyl Kohler vs the larger Briggs V-Twin? Ignoring the seat and tires, is the engine upgrade worth it or would you stay with the Kohler?

I'm guessing it will start a "war" to ask for other recommendations to these two in a similar price range. I might be interested in a ZTR, but I assume they are out of the price range.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jerry

I just purchased an L118 this past weekend and faced the same consideration as you on the L110. For me the V-twin was the deal maker. I've owned a single cylinder Kohler in a Yard Man and while it was a good engine, it was no where near as smooth as a V-twin from a vibration standpoint.

The high back seat and wider rear tires are nice additions, the smoothness of the V-twin makes it a slam dunk.

I haven't seen anything published regarding production numbers of the limited edition, but purchased the last one at my local Home Depot. Right now they have interest free (when you apply for a card) until Jan. 2005.

Be sure to pick up a rebate form for the free tractor cover they're offering on either model you choose.

Mike Doyle

Reply to
Mike Doyle

-- Gardener

Gardener

that the transmission is not the same as the L120. The ads, especially Home Depot, led me to believe that this was identical to the L120 but without some of the frills and a smaller deck. I contacted JD customer service about the ads and my concern that the transmission (same as the L110) was not up to the combination of weight, power,wheels etc. over the long term. The response was if I didn't like it, return it (at my expense). In several correspondences, they have not tried to reassure me. Tonight I have read of some starting problems;one more headache I don't want to deal with. I am thankful that I bought this from a JD dealer as they will take the unit back within 30 days.

-- Gardener

Gardener

Reply to
LTNAM