John Deere

Have an opportunity to acquire a used John Deere riding mower with pulling attachment and a pull behind trailer. Does not run, motor turns freely, external housing is damaged up front and will not close. Owner is physically incapable of doing repairs. Owner said a debtor failed to repay a loan, and left this behind when he left the state, so he took possession. Don't want to get into the legalities, just the John Deere itself.

How much is it worth? Parts availability? Should I consider it at all?

Am single, live in rural area, have complete set of tools, no air tools. My brother is a John Deere trained technician with 20+ years on farm style tractors, but has no experience on the "little-bitty stuff" he says.

Reply to
Lil' Dave

How about letting us in on some info - like is it a "riding mower", "lawn tractor", or "garden tractor" ? - what year is it ? - how many HP ? - is it a B&S or Kohler engine ? - what is this "pulling attachment you refer to ?

The garden cart is worth anywhere from 25 to 50 $ depending on wether the tires hold air and if it is rotted thru anyplace. Pretty much any JD rider is worth at least $100 for parts. I wouldn't expect to have any trouble finding parts - just paying for them. You've already "considered" it - now it's just a question of should you buy it.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

On 10/1/2005 7:20 PM US(ET), Srgnt Billko took fingers to keyboard, and typed the following:

Read the first line of the post. "...John Deere riding mower..."

Reply to
willshak

Did some more checking yesterday at owners new home. Its 3 years old. No battery, starter defective per his wife. "Hood" has hole in it RH side front near headlight, hood does close however. Its John Deere LT150.

info available at links on left side of this page.

I offered $200 based on junk price, don't know if it runs. Seems to have compression when turning motor by hand.

He also has a 1 year old Troybilt for sale 19 horse model same style as John Deere. Belt keeps coming off per owner. Seems well cared for.

Reply to
Lil' Dave

Read between the lines - the guy / gal has no idea what he / she is talking about. And, in answer to my question, says it is a "LT".

Reply to
Srgnt Billko