John Deere 135 - no starting

I have a John Deere lawn tractor 135. 14 hp Kaw.. Every once in a while it won?t start. The key does nothing, no click. dead. If I jump the main starter terminal and the small terminal next to it (solenoid) it will turn over and start. Then it could be fine for the next ten or so starts. I?ve removed and cleaned all cable connections. Where else could I look to fix this problem? Key switch, starter, etc?

Thank, TP

Reply to
TP

I'd get your meter out and check the 'neutral safty switch' and the 'blade safety switch' for continuity.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Thanks Larry, Yes, I checked the safety switches. Even jumped over them for a few weeks. I?m guessing bad spot in the starter. Only because it is so intermittent. Just wondering if anyone had a similar problem, before I start replacing parts.

TP

Larry wrote:

Reply to
TP

Its obviously not the starter, you proved that, why replace it? You have very nearly proved its the key switch, start there. Eric

Reply to
Eric

Intermittent problems are the toughest to T/S- You have to wait until it's 'broke' to effectively isolate the failed component. Until you actually locate a failed component, everything else is speculation. The trick is to use your multimeter to prove your suspicions PRIOR to changing a component (much cheaper that way).

I'd suggest you have your box of tools ready and the next time the problem shows, then T/S to a component.

From your description, I WOULD NOT change the starter. By jumpering across those terminals, you've effectively eliminated the Starter Solenoid, Starter Switch, Safety Switches, and associated wiring from the circuit- and it starts! That tells us it's NOT the starter (unless I misunderstood your description).

Just my 2¢

Larry Naval Aviation Electrician 'Retired'

20 years if gettin 'em off the pointy end AND safely home again!
Reply to
Larry