JD SST zero turn tractor

Hi all. I'm thinking of purchasing a zero turn tractor this spring. I have a realatively flat 1 3/4 acre property. I found a pretty good deal on a used John Deere SST 16 with the freedom deck at a local John Deere dealer. I know they discontinued making them this year due to poor sales. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom Schneider

Reply to
Tom Schneider

Hi all. I'm thinking of purchasing a zero turn tractor this spring. I have a realatively flat 1 3/4 acre property. I found a pretty good deal on a used John Deere SST 16 with the freedom deck at a local John Deere dealer. I know they discontinued making them this year due to poor sales. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom Schneider

What are you asking. Are you asking about types of mower or this model of mower? What are you looking for a great mower that will last a long time with a great cut? Or a mower that you will use other attachments with but wont last as long or cut as good. What price range are you looking at. Need more details please.

Reply to
op4_camper

Good day Tom. I run honda and toro, but my honda dealer is also the deere dealer. As far as they are concerned, Deere is no longer able to support commerical lawn equiptment. I was thinking about buying a commercial 21" from them this winter, but they don't even carry them anymore. My service guy said that in the past 5 years 80% of their warranty work was on Deere.

It seems that Deere is racing to the bottom when it comes to the commercial market. They figure that the consumer market holds alot more profit and their production costs are much less.

Reply to
Timothy

"Timothy" wrote

manufactured at that time. Been in the shop more than it's been worked. A lot of power, but the engineering is absolutely terrible. You have to move hydraulic lines in order to get to the grease fittings. I would expect a better machine for 30+K. We run 2 Gehl skid steers which put the Deere to shame. We also bought a 4x4 Deere Gator at the same time we bought the 280, it's a pitiful machine.

Reply to
Kirk

Thanks for the info. I've always felt that JD concentrates on the farming and residentual clientel and not so much on the commercial end. I think I'm going to give it a try. I took it for a test drive and I really like it. It seems to be a nice cross between a traditional tractor and a zero turn. Plus the price is right.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom Schneider