Japanese Beetles vs. my lawn

Japanese Beetles have finally made it to Minnesota and they're tearing up the garden big time.
Conventional wisdom says it's a waste of time to treat the lawn for grubs unless you can convince everybody who lives within 3 miles to do the same.
However, will the grubs do damage to the lawn itself? Should I treat the lawn just for the sake of the lawn?
--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

In

In the context of Japanese beetles, everywhere.
Japanese beetles will travel several miles to find food, so treating just my own lawn won't eliminate enough of the pests to make a difference.
--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

If you already know the answer, then why did you come here asking the questions? Obviously you don't understand the lifecycle of the insect you're dealing with. Here's a clue: Adult Japanese beetles that travel miles don't destroy your lawn. The larvae of a variety of beetles, commonly referred to as grubs, do.
In

Did you even bother to read my original post? The specific question was:
"However, will the grubs do damage to the lawn itself? Should I treat the lawn just for the sake of the lawn?"
Are you, in fact, saying that the grubs will, in fact, do significant damage to the lawn?
Are you, in fact, saying that it might be worth my while to treat my lawn for the grubs just for the sake of the lawn, even though it won't do anything to reduce the number of beetles that I find in the garden?
So far, I've seen no evidence of lawn damage that can be attributed to the beetle larvae, but this is the first year we've seen more than a handful of the beetles.
--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

In wrote:

I didn't realize that you and the person posting as "." were the same person.
But that post appeared to be addressing the problem of grubs in general, with no suggestion that you were talking specifically about Japanese beetle grubs.
Anyway, thanks for your input.
--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

Bert Hyman said:

One thing you may want to keep in mind.
If you apply a "pesticide" to kill the grubs in your lawn, you'll also kill every earthworm in the same vicinity. That *does* have some ramifications to it. Just food for thought.
I'm definately not "anti-pesticide". I just tend to use it as a last resort because there are usually side-effects, with chemicals, that most people don't think about, that can have a negative impact. Replacing a problem, with a different problem, as it were.
25 earthworms per square foot of soil equals about 1 million earthworms per acre. That's a lotta worms tunneling around under your turf. There are many benefits to that, not limited to aeration, porosity, fertility (worm castings rock as a fertilizer), or permeability. They also stimulate nitrogen-fixing bacteria. Be a shame to lose that, you'll end up applying nitrogen at a greater rate. =)
--
Eggs

-It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
In wrote: > I'm definately not "anti-pesticide". I just tend to use it as a last

I don't use 'em either, other than the systemic stuff (imidacloprid) that I'm trying on the roses. If the sand cherries and dwarf crab apple survive the beetle onslaught, I might try it on them next spring. The clematis and Boston Ivy are done for.
--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN