Is it a Billbug?

I found a bug (actually, it found me by landing on my shoulder - I think it fell off of my River Birch) that looked like some of the pictures I've seen of a billbug. The difference that I saw in this on is that on it's upper "torso", that was a black dot outlined in white. The bug was black and on it's "wing covers" it had white speckles. Any idea and what type of damage can it do?