Insects or Fungus killing plant leaves ???

I have several hedges that are losing leaves, including azaleas, pitassporum (spelling), boxwoods, and holly. Some of these plants have had a lot of leaves completely fall off, while other areas show some kind of disease indicated by the leaf edges turning brown, or in the case of the holly, a light purple. All of these plants are within 25 feet of each other.

In most affected areas, I can see new buds generating already, giving me hope that this is not a continuing decline.

Although this event happened during a three week period that I was out of town, I also lost one complete azalea plant in the same area, early in the spring of the year. When that plant died, it was not regenerating buds for new growth like these plants are doing.

I am trying to figure out if I likely have a fungus, or if these problems are caused by insects. I did a bit of research via Google, but I was surprised to find that it was hard for me to distinguish if my symptons sound more like a result of fungus or if these plants are being eaten by insects. I thought that usually, evidence of bugs was pretty obvious, with a lot of holes or parts of leaves eaten off. Although I can see just a very few holes, they are small, and not very significant to me.

I thought of spraying for bugs, waiting 2 -3 days, then spraying with a good fungicide, but I wondered if this might harm the plants or be counter-productive.

I will appreciate any help or advice please.

Reply to
James

I'd check for moisture. It has been a tough summer; either flood or draught. Check the soil. Make sure it is moist. Most likely it is not enough water to kill the variety of plants you listed.

I've had trees this year shed their leaves and then recover due to too much water and then not enough.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

Thanks for the thought Thunder but I have checked the soil and it is moist, but not overly wet. That was one of the first things I looked for.

I really do think that it is either bugs or fungus.

--James--

Reply to
James