Insect killer & crabgrass preemergent

I applied the crabgrass preventor about a month ago, and wish to put down some insect killer on the lawn now to keep the grass bug free for when the kids play on it. Will this break that protective barrier that they say the preemergent gives to the lawn?

No, it won't. Personally, I'd rather have my kids playing on a lawn with a few bugs instead of a lawn with insecticide. Used correctly, to save a lawn from turf damaging insects, insecticides are sometimes necessary, but I don't see the need to use them to make a lawn bug free.

No but which insect are you trying to control, and which control product are you planning to use?