Identify this tree

This tree is growing in the yard of a friend. The original owner of his home was an exotic tree collector. He has many unusual specimens in the yard. No one seems to know what type of tree this one is. It is growing in south western New Jersey where it is not unusual for winter temperatures to drop below 0 on really cold winter nights. The thee is about 20 feet tall and is probably 25 years old. It is growing below a canopy of very tall oak trees.
http://www.deluciafamily.org/tree/1.jpg
http://www.deluciafamily.org/tree/2.jpg
http://www.deluciafamily.org/tree/3.jpg
in message

Definitely don't want to 'rake up the leaves' from that tree!
scott(remove_to_reply) wrote:

Catalpa?
Definitely NOT a catalpa tree. The leaves are too large and the wrong shape. I think its some hardy tropical species.
Ben
Stubby wrote:

It's an Umbrella Magnolia. For sure.
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:31:36 -0500, Ph47f3

Joe,
You are absolutely right. I have looked at some pictures on the net and they all look exactly like the tree.
Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@here.now wrote:

Lots of BIG leaves... show us the bark....
in message

scott(remove_to_reply) wrote:

Dunno, but it seems to excite you greatly.