hydroseeding

Hello, We have recently hydroseeded our new lawn. It is the middle of October and we live in Massachusetts. For the past week the high temperatures have been around 55 to 60 degrees with low temps getting down to the low 40's. It has rained recently, but I am afraid that it may be too cool for the seeds to germinate. What do you think? Thanks.
Truly Concerned
Stephen Clark wrote:

Did you do the actual seeding or did you contract it?
Yard And Garden Handyman Services
It is awful late in the year for you to be seeding in Massachusetts. You *might* get lucky and get it to come up. I am surprised that a professional lawncare company would do hydroseeding this late in the year. I hope the contract you signed included a guarantee that the grass will germinate. Most likely you are looking at a do over. I hope I'm wrong.
Stephen Clark wrote:

A do over is tough with hydro..the fiber is in the way for overseeding unless it's removed. I would have forgone the hydro-fiber this late in the year.

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

with that method of seeding?

thin spots. Good seed is cheap, relatively speaking.

Slice seeding bare soil works very well. The only issue is you don't want to seed if it's muddy or freshly tilled soil, as then the slice seeder is going to bog down.

I guess that depends on the labor rate or who's doing the work. You can rent a small slice seeder for $50 for a half day, $80 for a big one. By comparison, grass seed to do say 10,000 sq feet can easily cost more than that and if you're using a real good blue grass, it could top $100. Plus, with a slice seeder, you do it once and have a high probablity of success, vs doing it a few times over several years. IMO, it's way more cost effective. Just tossing seed out to overseed is good if there are just some small areas which you can then work with a rake, topdress, etc.

I agree. Early sept would have been optimal. The seed needs soil temps above 50, which usually means daytime temps in the 60s to germinate. It also needs some time to grow and harden to survive the winter. Doing it in mid Oct decreases the chances of success substantially. It's really a probability issue with the weather.
Some of the other factors are:
How much sun it gets this time of year. If there are no trees blocking the southern sky, that helps a lot. Even on cool days, the sun will warm the earth.
What kind of seed? It's likely it was a mix. Rye grass germinates fast, 4 days, fescue about 7, blue grass can take several weeks. If it was a mix containing blue grass, which many mixes contain because it aids in regrowing/repair, then the blue grass portion is least likely to get established this late in the season.
If you have leaves, which should be coming down in your area now, they can be a problem. Difficult to remove on a newly seeded lawn without damaging the grass and if left block the sun. A blower is probably the best option.