Humm??

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here owns their own lanscaping company. I've dreamed of starting my own and now that I've finally mustered up the courage I don't know where to begin. Maybe I can learn a thing or two from those of you who have been in the same situation. How did you get started?

Any advise is welcome :)

Reply to
AdLib

After starting (and selling) several successful companies myself, I see a series of 'steps' (if you'll call them that) to getting going.

Usually the initial activity (landscaping in this case) interests one enough and one becomes good enough at it to where others start paying for your services. I call that a 'paying hobby' and the majority of the government agencies recognize that. You don't just 'wake up' one day and become a company- you generally 'ease into it'.

But there comes a point (here I was told it was around the $7,000 in earnings mark) where you've made enough money that it's generally not considered a 'hobby' anymore. Then it's time to get a business license and all the other stuff that goes along with that. If you keep working on a 'planning timeline' and pay attention to the proper 'sequence of events' you can make a smooth transition from hobby to business without any interruption in service (and without working 23 hour days).

Good luck on your new business!

MikeR

Reply to
MikeR

Get a part time job working for someone in the industry, you'll learn real quick. No one can post what you need in training if you've never done it. Be sure to charge enough for your service too. (that's the main cause of new start-up failure)

Reply to
N3CVJ

Work, work, work and do a good, no, excellent job and you will get paid, paid, paid. Try to learn a little about construction, plants and business management. Then get a job with an existing company till you are able to do things yourself.

Reply to
GFRfan

Well I do not own my own landscaping company but I do business consultations along with creating business plans.

When people ask about wanting to be in business for theirselves I will mention that there are some businesses that are always in demand and one of them is doing general yard work. And personally I know this for a fact because I live in an area that has a lot of homes with surrounding grounds! I don't know how you're defining landscaping - are you talking general yard work or more specific kinds of landscaping?

Basically one of your main concerns will be getting clients and the best way to do that is to let them know that you are in business. Now if you're serious about wanting to do this as a business then you will want to do the plain mundane things on a continuing basis and not just once which means that you should have a business plan. No matter what kind of business you are thinking of starting you will be doing more than just getting customers and getting paid. You will have to deal with the "business" aspect of running a business or you won't have a business for long!

So if your main concern is first to get customers you will have to let them know that you are in business. That means flyers and business cards and any other kind of marketing, advertising and promotional things that you can do.

Rose

"Can you make money on the Internet?-YES!"

Reply to
Rose

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. Advertise, advertise, advertise.

Reply to
GFRfan

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. Advertise, advertise, advertise.

Reply to
GFRfan

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. Advertise, advertise, advertise.

Reply to
GFRfan

Bravo to all who took the time to post. Such great advice for anyone thinking about starting a business!

Reply to
newsgroup

Take a look at this site, I get a lot of good advice from it:

luck, Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Judd

Or even this site....