Huge wasp nest - help!

Page 3 of 3

A huge wasp nest has suddenly sprang up on the side of my house I don't regularly walk by...
http://web.blomand.net/~dennmac/waspnest.jpg
I did some poking around on the Web and most people recommend after dressing accordingly by covering as much of your body as possible, wait until very late in the evening when they're all in there and feeling sluggish, spray the nest with a 25' foaming jet spray, then retreat until the next day to scrape it off.
Alternatively, one fellow says if you can wait until October after the first frost the nest will be vacant and then you can remove it with no problem. I have no small kids running around but I do mow directly underneath it and I don't know if that would provoke them or not.
Any other tips on how to deal with these unwelcome houseguests?
Is that a hornets nest?

Wait until after dark when it cools down. They'll be asleep. Then spray the heck out of it. And run! They may be sleepy but they are probably going to be pissed off. Alternatively, you could smoke them out. Hmmm, wait, that might be for honey bees and honey combs. Anyway, good luck and don't get stung!
Jill
On 7/10/2011 8:22 PM, Dennis M wrote:

Wasp spray, flashlight after dark.