how to winter my 'Russian Sage'

The plants I cut back (as recommended) last fall didn't do well. Only half survived the Chicago Winter.

I planted new this spring from very good nursery. They grew, but not a lot. They didn't fill in as much as I expected. Should I cover them with rose cones? Should I cut them back? (last years cut back was disappointing).

I see them in highway dividers here locally and they seem to thrive, even in winter road salt spray.

So what do I need to do to make my little group flourish next spring?

Reply to
FireBrick

You pruned them at the wrong time.

No.

Prune Perovskia back to about six inches in the late winter or early spring, /before/ new growth starts.

[rest snipped]
Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Thanks Eggs.