How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

Page 4 of 4

Against stinging insects in general, I keep a household spray bottle handy with a mix of 1:15 soap to water. I use dish soap like Dawn or something similar. Water alone will not kill them, they are adapted to outdoor living and rain. However soapy water drowns them quickly. Hit with this spray, they die FAR faster than with Raid, and I don't have to worry about poisoning the kids or the dogs.
But I haven't wanted to waste expensive dish soap on nests in the ground. I just throw in a cup of tide or similar laundry detergent to each bucket of water.

Soapy water wets them and drowns them. Plain water doesn't, I guess they must have some way of shedding it. I don't really know the physics of this, but I have done it a number of times and can testify it works.

Against stinging insects in general, I keep a household spray bottle handy with a mix of 1:15 soap to water. I use dish soap like Dawn or something similar. Water alone will not kill them, they are adapted to outdoor living and rain. However soapy water drowns them quickly. Hit with this spray, they die FAR faster than with Raid, and I don't have to worry about poisoning the kids or the dogs.
But I haven't wanted to waste expensive dish soap on nests in the ground. I just throw in a cup of tide or similar laundry detergent to each bucket of water. ==================Be careful of using laundry soap near plants, though. Many have high enough levels of alkali and chelating agents to cause damage.

Soapy water wets them and drowns them. Plain water doesn't, I guess they must have some way of shedding it. I don't really know the physics of this, but I have done it a number of times and can testify it works. ===============The surfactant in detergents lowers the interfacial tension between water and their body surface.
On 9/5/10 5:21 PM, Nelly wrote:

That reminds me of a method where you don't have to find the nest. Make a tripod of sticks a foot or two long, to stand in a bucket or pan. Hang a piece of fish from it. Add water until the level is an inch or two below the fish. Add a drop of detergent to the water and leave the trap where yellow jackets can find it.
They tend to fall in when the try to fly with a piece of fish. The soap speeds drowning. It may catch so many that it has to be emptied each night.

Soap plugs up their breathing aparatus
On 9/5/2010 4:21 PM, Nelly wrote:

Has anyone ever used a power washer to take out a nest? Um, WTF does "askeered" mean? Does it hurt? 8-)
TDD

The term "askeered" is the local yokel synonym for "afraid".
nb
On 9/6/2010 10:45 AM, notbob wrote:

M&ms come in synonym or cinnamon?
On 2010-09-06, lil abner <> wrote:

Last time I looked, they came in a bag. ;)
nb

Never heard of M&Ms in that flavor. What color are the simaron ones?
On 9/4/2010 10:57 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Oh, yes you can.... <G>
--
Steve Barker
On 9/5/2010 6:32 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

When I was a kid and teenager we used quarter sticks of dynamite in traps for foxes, in the Indiana orchards and in place of fire crackers. Uncles used it in their own small coal mines or dog holes Dynamite was common and used by Farmers etc all over the place. We weren't worried about Terrorists. Indeed, terrorists would have provided a bit of diversion. I bet he would die of appleplexy if he though the Farmers now used it. Now you have to hire a licensed outfit to use it for you. Of course City folks didn't/don't need it. They were/are dangerous though and nitwits found out the hard way.

Not the original M80s, like back in the '60s. The BATF has reclassified them as HE (high explosives) and it's class D felony to be caught with one. There are wimpy bogus M80s and perhaps some illegally imported one's, but it's not like 1964 when you could legally buy a gross of the real deal for about $10 in any one of a dozen states.
nb
On 9/6/2010 9:41 AM, notbob wrote:

How in the hell did we ever survive our childhood? I seem to remember being able to purchase WWII surplus hand grenades.
TDD
Gracious. Not sure I'd ever have a use for one of them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 9/6/2010 10:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Booby-trap the garage to take out dobads or to protect your crops. 8-)
TDD

I suspect it was due to the fact we hadn't learned to drink, yet!
I know it was as a young drinking adult I began to get careless. Had two firecrackers blow up in my fingers cuz I'd been drinking. One incident was straight out of a National Lampoon movie, where I lit the firecracker with my cigar stub, then tossed the cigar!! I'm older and wiser, now, and luckily still have all my digits, but if either one of the aforementioned episodes had involved a real M80, I have no doubt my nickname would now be Lefty. ;)
nb
On 9/6/2010 11:59 AM, notbob wrote:

'Here, hold my beer' 'Watch this!' 'Oh, I've done this a hundred times before'
Anybody remember the others? Foxworthy had a several-minute bit with them on one of his old standup routines.
And yeah, as I remarked on here before, it is a small miracle that I still have all my limbs and digits, and both eyes and both ears, and they all still work, sorta. I try real hard not to do stupid stuff any more- I don't heal up near as fast or well as I used to.
--
aem sends...

Only as paperweights, with the charge removed, or inert 'training' grenades. (Other than ones idiots snuck home as souvenirs, of course.) Way too tempting for kids playing soldier, even back then.
--
aem sends...

On 9/6/2010 9:41 AM, notbob wrote:

Oh yes, the real deal. Get a gross each year. Just like the ones dad got in the 60's.
--
Steve Barker
James wrote:

Tennis racket, you march to the den of death and dare them to come at you knowing "to the victor goes the spoils". Wear something with a tight collar they fight dirty when they go down your shirt.