How to fix a perma-squealing B&D 16" corded e-ic hedge trimmer

I actually have two with the same problem.

They run fine, but they now also squeal without relent.

Can I take it apart and get it to stop the noise?

Reply to
bent

Yes, if you take it apart the noise should stop.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

re: "They run fine, but they now also squeal without relent"

They squeal without relent? Even when unplugged?

You don't need a repair, you need an exorcist.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It probably a B&D Bush Hog, it squeals like a pig.

Reply to
ransley

it is definitely not the blade, and is definitely inside

over at forums.gardenweb.com in the Tool Shed they said the motor uses cheaper bushings, not bearings, that I could lubricate for a temp fix. Do you guys trust them.

Can you recommend any of these cordless models over any of the other ones from these?:

Yardworks B&D Worx / Earthwise

from the cheap category

Reply to
bent

On 8/25/2009 1:47 PM bent spake thus:

Dunno if I trust them, as I don't even know them. But yes, almost any motor can be lubricated, even one with crappy busings/bearings. Shouldn't be hard to open it up and apply lube where needed.

The question is how long it'll last, but it should quiet it down at least temporarily. Me, being a compulsive DIYer/fixer, I'd do it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The motor probably runs through a gear reduction to drive the clipper. So, does the noise seem synced to the motion of the shearing, or is it a higher pitched more continuous noise. You may wish to take a piece of hose and snoop like a stethoscope to see where the sound is originating. Lubricate there, probably with a grease or heavy oil rather than a light oil. If you take this apart, you will probably see where the gears are meshing, add grease there

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

You are such a dumb fornicator.

Reply to
Billy

I've been generally pleased with B&D repair, even beyond the warranty period. You might give that a shot.

Reply to
Charles