How to calibrate Republic EZ broadcast spreader (2023 Update)

As the forsythia are about to bloom in Connecticut, I prepared to put down fertilizer and crabgrass preventer, but lost the book on my Republic EZ broadcast spreader. There is a mark to calibrate it, but I don't remember what number I should set on the dial, and the internet has not helped so far. Does anyone have the information. Thanks, gilken

Reply to
gilken

I've never re-calibrated my Scoots since I put it together 15 years ago. I just keep an eye on how fast the particular product is going out and if the rate seems off, then I adjuct the dial a bit. From experience the suggested settings on the bag are often off one way or the other from what you actually need anyway. Probably depends on factors like how much moisture may have gotten into the particular product, etc.

So, I just start with a part of a bag, say 1/4 and keep an eye on how far that goes, relative to the area it should cover, then adjust accordingly. And if you're off somewhat it won;t matter much. I'd tend to err on the side of a bit too light, you can always do a 2nd pass.

I know the forsythia guidline is widely used for pre-emergent, but I think it's still very early to be putting it down right now. I'm in coastal NJ and I would not put it down here for a couple weeks. CG doesn't germinate until you have temps in the high 70s or 80s. By that time the effectiveness could be wearing off. I prefer to do it a bit later and use a product with Dimension which will not only prevent germination but kill very small CG plants too.

Reply to
trader4

replying to gilken, Kitty wrote: Gilken, I have the same question. Wouldn't it be nice if the numerical setting were in pounds per 1,000 s.f.? My bags of lime suggest settings for every spreader except Republic, and for the same rate of application (10 lb/1,000 s.f.) call for anywhere from 7-1/2 to 26 for a 12-inch spreader.

Reply to
Kitty

replying to Kitty, Floppy wrote: I have a Republic EZ Broadcast Spreader. To calibrate, set dial to 4.5.

Reply to
Floppy

replying to Floppy, mgrizza wrote: I have never figured out how to set the dial to 4-1/2. I see the 4 but don?t see 1/2. Is 1/2 the markings between 4 and 5?

Reply to
mgrizza

replying to mgrizza, MommyandtheMoonpies wrote: It is a little odd looking, some numbers on the top with others along the bottom. So it's more complex than just 4 plus 1/2. I went with the number 4 that's a little hidden from the top, and then set at the 2l which you see at the bottom. I know that sounds weird...you'd have to see one to understand

Reply to
MommyandtheMoonpies

Just put the dial in between 4 and 5. :-)

Reply to
wayne42

There's a complete guide on how to do Republic EZ Broadcast Spreader Settings here

which might help you out.

Cheers!

Reply to
Waqar Rasheed