How late to fetilize

Greetings to the board,

I have a question about "winterizing" lawns. The coastal area of the Florida Panhandle is now in the middle of the first "hard freeze" and regular "freeze" warning depending how close to the gulf. Now it is also when I realize that I haven't spread the stuff I purchase early November.

I suppose (hope?) the temps will raise in a week or so to the neighborhood of 50 to 60 before another cold front shows up.

The lawn is looking sort of OK, but I'm not sure how healthy it is inside. Also now that I have your attention, when the weather people give the warning for the freeze for a particular night: is it better to water before or after? How bad is it, if the sprinklers go automatically before you know it and then you see icicles hanging from the leaves of the bushes?

this may be very obvious for some, but I'm a SouthFloridian transplant. I figured Florida was the sunshine state period, now I'm learning differently. Used to be 2 seasons: tourist and locals, if there was anything to pick during the fall it was the ONE palm leaf. Now I have 4 seasons: tourist/locals, tourist/spring breakers, tourist/drawn in leaves & pine cones and finally tourist/freeze your southflorida behind.

thanks for any info

Reply to
Ana

J.Caldwell