How Can I Keep Dogs Away from my Lawn and Other Plants?

Page 1 of 2
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them. Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?
Thanks,
Mike
Mike wrote:

Anything short of a fence will be easy for your dog to jump over. I have a cable running from my house to a tree 70 feet away. The dog can only go about 15 feet either side of the cable and there is a stop on the cable 20 feet from the tree. There's nothing she can destroy except grass.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Motion detector sprinkler?
<http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&pD958&cat=2,51555&ap=1>
I'm planting new grass and other greenery. Believe I found what I need - urine. . . urine from bears and wolves. Understand dogs will actually run from this scent and not cock their legs on my new greenery.

Do dogs run wild in your neighborhood, or do not-so-thoughtful pet owners let their pets use your yard as a bathroom?
I don't have any advice for free-running dogs, but I have found that a small sign (it can be 6" x 6" and made of something that doesn't stand out like a sore thumb) that says something like.. "If your pet needs to use the bathroom, please take them over to the mulched area instead of letting them go on the yard or plants. Thanks!"
The bottom line is that pet owners are often lazy, but are usually nice enough people to get their pets to use your preferred alternative, rather than going right in the middle of your yard...

small signs.
Mike
Mike wrote:

Put several of those little "Dangerous lawn chemicals in use" signs around your place and notify your neighbors. Tell them it could hurt their pets and they must keep those pets off your property.

Stubby wrote:

And be prepared for the hypochondriacs to come...
--
v/r,
C-F
CANNON-FODDER wrote:

Tresspassing" on it.
Stubby wrote:

Although my comment was meant as a wry poke at the power of suggestion, "No Tresspassing" would certainly be better. That would be up-front and clear instead of passive-aggressive and duplicitous, and would avoid any confusion over which [non-existent] chemical was applied and if there were any over-spray or ground-water concerns.
I am confident there are plenty of "No Tresspassing" signs available locally without having to have a special one made.
--
v/r,
C-F

Good idea.
Mike
I use a 22 rifle with birdshot the first time.
Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down town Yountsville. Managers of the water works. http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/doc
http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/MelDonniesBluebird

Set out a dish of water with some antifreeze in it.
Some pieces of sponge soaked in bacon grease will also work.
Good luck.

The dogs lick/chew them then don't return?

The dogs internal body parts will plug up and the dog may die. I suppose there might be a time and place for extreme measures, eh?

can't think of any Steve though I can think of some uses for it for people who actually do this to dogs, along with electric fences, baseball bats and barbed wire.
rob
how about one warning to the owners and then use a 22 rifle. Some dog owners think that their dog has more rights then a land owner.
Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down town Yountsville. Managers of the water works. http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/doc
http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/MelDonniesBluebird
Mike, Short of hitting the owner with a stick, I've had some success with Red Pepper Flakes. My grandfather use to spread them out on the side walk in front of his business to keep the dogs moving on down the line. Try boiling some flakes up in water then applying it to your most visited canine rest stops and see if this helps.
Cheers
Dan

Thanks Danny I'll give it a try.
Mike