House Advances Ammonium Nitrate Bill

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/85/i19/8519news1.html
Absolute idocy. Imagine the lines to register for lawn fertilizer on a spring Saturday.
The police state mentality has got to go.

Yeah, I doubt that from a practical standpoint it would do much good. Someone determined to buy it will just find a way around it. What happened at Virginia Tech is a good example. There are already plenty of laws that say someone who has a psychiatric history isn't allowed to buy a gun. But, less than half the states report an involuntary commital to the FBI database. Why? One big reason is the same folks who want to pass laws like this also say it's a violation of a mental patients rights to report such data. I guess in someone folks screwed up heads they can reconcile all this and it makes sense, but not to me.
Another example of this mentality. Here in NJ the new fad is for local communities to pass laws requiring beer kegs to have non- removable ID tags and for the person buying one to have to present identification, give personal info, and sign a log book. Why? Theory is it's going to help curb underage drinking. And the penalty? If you're caught with an unregistered keg, $2000 fine and/or 30 days in jail. Can you believe the stupidity?

I have long wondered why people of your state, and many other states in the NE, continue to reelect politicians who make laws unpopular with the people. Why not vote them all out of office at the next election???
Red
Moe wrote:

Mate, you live in a nation where one can buy almost any firearm short of a machine gun with pocket change and a 10-day wait.
You do NOT live in a police state.
BTH (Australia - the Nanny State).

Maybe instead of listening to the media you should come here to NJ and see what it takes to buy a gun. Last permit to buy a pistol here in NJ took close to a year after filling out the application and being fingerprinted by the police. That included running the prints through the FBI and the local police conducting a background check, which includes calling references and anyone else the police feel like contacting during their investigation.
As someone else posted, the biggest problem is not people obtaining guns legally through any process. It's that criminals obtain them illegally. Crack cocaine and heroin are totally illegal, aren't they? Yet, those can be obtained on the street very easily by criminals too.

No different than many other laws. Throw a law at something that will predicate a previous freedom of those not participating what the law is supposed to fix. Meanwhile, the hoods manage to find a way around the law. The law essentially becomes mute because it no longer is effective in fixing what it was designed to cure. Meanwhile, Joe and Jane USA are still doing the paperwork and registration.
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins
Moe wrote:

It applies to ammonium nitrate only, not all lawn fertilizers. As usual, the reporter wrote for sensationalism while leaving out pertinant facts. As I understand the bill, it would apply to bulk purchases such as a farmer would buy. It would not apply to the few bags that a homeowner would buy.
As to mentality of the bill, it makes little sense since ammonium nitrate is only half the ingredients. It has to be soaked with diesel fuel or kerosene. Why not regulate those fuels also? Because they can afford to piss off a few farmers rather than a whole lot of truckers. So this is a political "feel good" bill that does nothing.
Red

We need to make some of these political idiots "feel bad" by voting their worthless carcasses out of office.
--
Mr.E