Hostas - Getting chewed up.

Hi all,
1st time poster - dinna beat me up!
Ok, so I have about 10 nice sized hosta's in the back garden but they are looking pretty ragged. I reckon the gypsy moth larvae are going to lunch on them. Any recommendation for a bug spray that will repel or kill them and not kill the plant?
I also have many squirrels and chipmunks attacking my bird feeders and while quite comical, they are getting pretty aggressive now.
BB Gun? Maybe a .22 to show who's boss...
Any help is appreciated!
Freddie
Freddie wrote:

Deer love hostas. Garden stores have sprays that work well at least until it rains.

Put a metal Slinky over the pole or rope that holds up the feeders.

You actually want the squirrels to eat up the dropped seed. You don't want to attract rats or bears.

It's Mr Woodchuck that eats our Hostas - Hav-a-hart traps.

The same give-a-shit .22 that works on squirrels works on woodchucks. What does one do with a woodchuck in a trap?

I have dropped them off on the grounds of a corporation I was pissed off at - and I have shot them in the trap which was safer than have a .22 ricochet toward the nearest house (about 800' away). I can tell you they are tough little buggers and a .22 in the ass is not going to stop them & you can forget the pellet gun.

I've shot many woodchucks on my property, and none in the ass. Why would you shoot one there, that's cruel. I use a .22 short on squirrels and a long rifle hollow point on woodchucks.

With a scope no doubt.

No need for a scope. I have a single shot Winchester Mod 67A with open iron sights.
The deer here in NJ are definitely eating my hostas. They seem to like them, as there are other plants that they only eat in winter. But hostas they seem to like all the time.

You have hostas in the winter? I live in PA, and the hostas are long gone by wintertime.
Chas Hurst wrote:

No, sorry for the confusion. Wat I meant was the deer will eat plants like yews and arbovitae in the winter, but they leave them alone in the summer, when other plants they like more, like the hostas are around.

Deer love yews more than any other plant. I got rid of the few I had because they were an attraction and an or'dourve for the azaleas and rhodies. The hostas are planted closer to the house in an attempt to protect them. So far so good. That stinky, expensive deer repellant seems to work-on most plants.