Horse Flies

I am building a cabin back in the woods in southeastern Ohio and it is difficult to work with one arm while waving the other one to drive off the pesky horse flies.
What works best to protect people? I don't have any livestock at this point.
Thanks

nt.

I'd swing by the farm store or large animal store and pick up a couple good fly traps and extra attractant. Takes a few days for them to get working good but they do work.
Randy

I'd swing by the farm store or large animal store and pick up a couple good fly traps and extra attractant. Takes a few days for them to get working good but they do work.
Randy
You really don't want any attractant... that's the irony of those Japanese beetle traps and bug zappers... sure you'll see thousands of dead insects they collected.... but that's only because they attract many millions more than would be in that area otherwise... those things are marketed to those with more dollars than brain cells. And bug zappers don't attract mosquitoes anyway... it's only the female mosquitoes that do the damage and they are only attracted to carbon dioxide, that's why they buzz around your head at night, they are attracted to your breath. Bug zappers mostly kill useful insects; pollenators (bees, butterflys) and non stinging/biting insects that birds, frogs, fish, and on which other wildlife feed. If you want to spend a lot of money to lower the mosquito population there are zappers that generate carbon dioxide by burning propane... golf courses set them in the woods along the fairways to draw the mosquitoes away from the players (and spectators), but they are only cost effective when they're used to protect hundreds and thousands of people each day, they cost too much to use in one's back yard, and you'll be paying mostly to protect your neighbors. One of the best and least costly ways to lessen the mosquito population is to eliminate standing water; even one bevrage container at the road in front of your house half filled with rain water can produce enough mosquitoes every day to make your life miserable, if your rain gutters contain standing water because they're pitched incorectly that will produce a mosquito menace to an entire neighborhood, if you have a pond nearby keep it well aerated and/or keep it well stocked with fish... if there are low spots on your property that collect and hold water after a rain because they don't drain fix them.

nd

ur

ill

you

et

sed

the

ce

ep

hey

Let's back up a step. Try this kind of fly trap and you won't have problems. http://www.petvetsupply.com/insmfar003.html
We've been using them for years and they work great.
Randy

Let's back up a step. Try this kind of fly trap and you won't have problems. http://www.petvetsupply.com/insmfar003.html
We've been using them for years and they work great.
============= Those things work great if your goal is to capture flies, but they also encourage many more flies into the area so there will be many more fly bites than had those attractant traps not been used at all. I'll make it easy for you to understand, I'll even do the math; if say there are 10,000 deer flies residing on your 1 acre lot and you set out one of your *attractant* traps what have you accomplished if your trap is snagging 1,000 flies per hour if your attractant is now drawing 1,000,000 flies an hour to your acre? You won't be able to empty and reset your trap quickly enough before you'll literally be eaten alive by flies. In other words if Hollywood made a movie called Hooter Mantis Gone Wild all they gotta do to attract enough customers to make it the the biggest money maker of all time is to put up a billboard with a bare breasted Hooter Mantis as an attractant. Imagine the chaos in a theater with one bare breasted Hooter Mantis and 10,000,000 sex hungry Mantis Males lined up for a nibble... heads will roll. The last thing you want to do to lessen fly bites is to do anything that will attract more flies.

ese

ts

ore

ose

ll

ou

he

ugh

ow

pply.com/insmfar003.html

tes

y for

*

re?

ll

movie

ers

rd

in a

you

You ever tried them ?
Randy

You ever tried them ?
================ One needn't eat shit to know from the smell it will taste bad.
Two years ago my next door neighbor put out about a dozen of those Japanese beetle traps, didn't take four hours to realize that we had ten times more beetles than folks from a half mile away.... those traps attracted every beetle for a half mile up wind.

is

off

is

ge

re

es

re

uch

at

se

nt*

er

in

ou

se

You have no experience with them. You know nothing about them. Yet you seem to think you're an expert on the subject.
DLC came looking for help and advice and all you've given him is a bunch of bullshit.
Randy wrote:
[....]

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef451.asp
"Unfortunately, research conducted at the University of Kentucky showed that the traps attract many more beetles than are actually caught. Consequently, susceptible plants along the flight path of the beetles and in the vicinity of traps are likely to suffer much more damage than if no traps are used at all."
"In most landscape situations, use of Japanese beetle traps probably will do more harm than good. If you experiment with traps, be sure to place them well away from gardens and landscape plants."
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef451.asp
this was but one of many different studies where their findings were the same.
In our study, which we chose not to publish due to reasons connected with our funding, we determined how one out of every four Japanese beetles attracted to the trap actually escaped the trap. Those beetles attracted to the trap who escaped the trap laid their eggs in the nearby lawns and created serious lawn destruction resulting from grubs.

Yup, using insect attractants to diminish the insect population is no different from the stimulous plan that places even more debt on those who weren't capable of handling money to begin with.

Not talking about japanese beetles and trapping them. We're talking about flys.
Randy wrote:

in that no trap is 100% the consequential result is the same. the destruction may be different but then that in and of itself is not the main point...
My first time here for several years, but I will start again. This is what I did for this subject:
I MURDERED MY ENEMY
It was a fly who flied so fast I could not catch him when he passed. For three whole days I hated more Until I woke up, starting war.
And then he moved in front of me, And zap - the hands my weapons be Just swat him - crash onto the floor. So now this enemy no more!
Now in my trash he is disposed, And I'll keep doors and windows closed.
marvin
Marvin L. Zinn Using Virtual Access Windows 2000 build 2600
Marvin L. Zinn wrote:

I need a huge red pen to correct the butchery of the English language in the doggerel you just spewed..
Van Helsing? Van Helsing: STOP EATING THOSE FLIES!!!

"Grizzly" wrote:

I'd not call it spew or doggerel.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1362834/poetic-license As a general rule, poetry has a carefully controlled verbal structure. The metre of the poem, the pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables, and the sounds and modulations of the words themselves all affect the subtle meanings and feelings that the poet may be trying to convey or evoke. Poets may distort normal prose patterns for the sake of form and therefore assume poetic license; it is solely a matter of aesthetic judgement and sensibility as to whether the alterations enhance or detract from the total effect of the poem.
I worked in 20 countries, so I cannot express everything I saw for everyone who reads it to understand. And English is one of the most complex. From an injury for years ago with seven weeks coma when no doctor expected me to live five minutes, I am back to excellent health. All I lost was words. I still have to research a lot to see which one to use, and occasionally make mistakes - but not in poetry which is for meaning, not grammar. marvin Marvin L. Zinn Reply to: snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com Using Virtual Access Windows 2000 build 2600