Honeysuckle

Hi I am new, but I live in Northern VA and was wondering how hard is it to grow honeysuckle. I think I have a dying plant in my front yard and I would like to replace it with Honeysuckle. I was orginally thinking roses, but I have been told that they are hard to grow so I changed my mind and thought about honeysuckle. Sarah

transplanted some from the shade of a maple tree to a sunny area and let them twine around some tomato cages to give them some support. They now grow on top of themselves and they look like shrubs. I've even had to use the hedge shears to remove excess growth to maintain a reasonable size. I moved them about ten years ago and they've grown well since then. The thing about honeysuckle is that they seem to thrive with something to climb on. Don't put it near something that you don't want it to climb on unless you want to and are able to keep it in check.
Tom
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:17:28 -0400, "Sarah Meagher"

vine only as far as I'm aware. It's not a bush or shrub. I'm in NC and mine grows fine with no care other than to keep it pruned a bit at times. I've got mine climbing up & across a split rail/wire mesh fence in back.
Terry
Mack said:

Untrue. There are many varieties of Lonicera (150+). Some are vines, some are shrubs. Some species are invasive to the point of being parasitic, while others are simply nice, fragrant plants.
HTH
--
Eggs

-By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends.
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:42:08 -0500, Eggs Zachtly

Thanks - I learned something. As I said I was only aware of the vines. I might have to check into the shrub varieties.
Terry
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

We have several scattered around our new yard, all shrubs. One is 15' tall & wide.
The stupid berries look so tasty, and 1 or 2 of the OTHER shrubs in my yard produce edible berries, so I kept confusing which ones I could eat & which ones I couldn't. We just bought the house last summer. Plus, I'd think "Well, maybe they just weren't ripe yet last month!".
I'd spend the next 10 minutes walking around the yard spitting & going "Akkk".
Now I make a special effort to remember which berries are edible.
I have about two hundred honeysuckle bushes in my field. Left alone, they grow in a very helter-skelter fashion; not at all attractive.
After experimenting a bit, I found that I could prune some of the larger ones to look like small trees and they are quite attractive. For example, I started with one very large and raggety-looking one and pruned around the base to get at the trunk. I cut away everything except three big trunks which were joined together at the base to form one central trunk about six inches in diameter. Then I pruned all the lower branches up to about 6 feet above the ground, leaving a large canopy above that point. The bark of the Honeysuckle is attractive, when the branches are cleared of spindly old growth. These plants seem to be very robust and disease-free. The smaller ones are easy to transplant.

I am in central NC and have a fence that seperates my yard from some woods. I can hardly control that weed with roundup. It seems to be a vine and likes to grow up things. It should be easy to grow.