Honda Izy Lawnmower

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Honda Izy 16 inch self-propelled lawnmower, but my local mower shop is rubbishing it, saying it is a cheap supermarket special and the engine is not worth repairing if anything goes wrong. By a coincidence he doesn't stock Hondas. It comes with a 2 year warranty and BBC Gardeners World Magazine voted it Best Petrol Mower so it can't be too bad can it? Does anyone have any experience of the Izy? I'd be very pleased to hear other people's opinions.

Thanks, Derek.

Reply to
DiddyS

Hi Derek,

I'm new to these forums but I am a mechanic and will say this much...

Honda is, like many Japanese manufacturers, renowned for reliabilty They have been producing engines of all types for some years now and i cars & motorbikes, and always come in high for reliabilty. I guess tha as your local dealer doesn't stock them, they are bound to try and pus you toward one of their own franchised products.

Look at it this way: If you had read reviews about a used Toyota car and then went to a BMW dealer to buy a used Toyota, you can bet you bottom dollar they would try and sell you a BMW. There's no reason th BMW wouldn't be reliable - but then there's no reason the Toyot wouldn't be either. The fact that the dealer would get a good commisio from the BMW sale would sway them that way.

If you feel after reading user reviews that the Honda is right for you then go for it. You will get a 12 month warranty anyway, and the mowe will probably last for years and years afterwards. We live in a "thro away" society with hourly labout charges often being worth more t repair than replace.

I had a look thorugh the www for reviews on the Izy but couldn't fin many at all, so guess it's a new product? Therefore, I also guess you dealer can't really judge this product just yet. Maybe (if you ca wait), give it a month and see what reviews are posted?

I know this doesn't really help, but I'm trying to play Devils Advocat here.

DiddyS Wrote:

-- jacobsdad

Reply to
jacobsdad

Every Honda motor I have been around is outstanding. I noticed around here the Amish buy Honda everything.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

reports. Ijust read up on it. Everything honda makes is good.

Reply to
Romy Beeck

I don't have this model, but I have a Honda 21 in 6 hp bought back in

1996. It was a one pull start back then and ten years later is a 3 pull start. Run's strong and all I have done is change oil as required.
Reply to
Tim

Yep. Ditto

-- jacobsdad

Reply to
jacobsdad

Hi, Thanks for your input. You have confirmed my view that Honda wouldn't put their name to anything that's rubbish and I intend to order one in the next few days. Many thanks, Derek.

Reply to
DiddyS

I haven't heard of the Izy but I suspect it uses the Honda GC series engines. While not the same quality as the GX series, they are still pretty good for the money. When the GC engines first appeared on economy mowers many decided they were "throw away" engines. Six years later most are still running like the day they were built. I am beginning to think that Honda could not build a crappy engine if they tried.

Reply to
Artemis