Hibiscus

I would like to trim my hibiscus back since it is growing too tall for the area in which it is planted. It is full of blooms and seems to be full of blossoms all year round. I live in Northern Florida. I thought about cutting it back in the winter months, despite the blossoms, but would that be damaging to the plants? Does it hurt the plants to cut them back while in full bloom? Sandy

Reply to
Bellsouth

Hi I'm in South Fla. The reccomendations I've always heard is cutting back 1/3 of the plant. I have cut them back as much as half. They might look bad after a pruning like that but they produce new growth and branch back out. I won't make any difference if the plant is in bloom or not. I don't think I'd prune it in the winter. You will be forcing tender new growth which will get burned if we get a frost.

Reply to
dave

Reply to
Bellsouth