Herbicide

Is there a herbicide that is not dangerous to pets? Thanks, S2

Yes, a strong hand and back for pulling the plant.
Seriously, I think you know the answer, if you follow the manufactors instructions, nothing should be too dangerious.
BTW, you might want to reply with what your intentions are, meaning plant you want to kill, and how much.
later,
tom
**************** http://www.Intertainia.com *********** Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com *******************************************************
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 01:25:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

I have the strong hand but not the strong back, seriously.
What I want is to eliminate plant material growing through a plastic barrier and river rocks.
My dogs sometimes eat what they shouldn't, so I want to make an educated approach.
S2

Ah, I missed this part. If they are eating the plants after spraying I would be careful. What about whacking the weeds with a weedeater until just the bases are left and then hit 'em with the weed spray.
Peter H
Round-up is about the most benign herbicide on the market. It is a glyphosate salt which is absorbed by the leaves and is transported to the root system and kills the plant by interfering with it's ability to uptake water by reversing normal osmotic flow (just as would pouring normal table salt on the roots). The worst thing that is likely is that if an animal ate a really large amount of material that had been sprayed it might experience some abdominal discomfort and perhaps some diarrhea or vomiting (much like what would happen if the animal drank too much slightly salty water). I would think that this would be pretty unlikely as the pet would have to eat a lot more plant material than most are likely to want to eat.
Stuart wrote:

What makes you think they are harmful to pets?
Peter H
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 13:00:36 GMT, "Peter H"

I don't know if they are harmful or not.
S2

Well IMHO weed spray is not harmful to humans or their pets. I would just follow the recommended application rates and keep the dog off the lawn until it is dry. I have never seen anything, other than very uninformed, subjective, anecdotal reports that show weed spray to affect anything other than weeds in the 50+ years that it's been on the market.
Peter H
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 13:00:36 GMT, "Peter H"

Cause he has a Chia Pet.
:-P
Sorry couldn't resist, I'm weak.
later,
tom
**************** http://www.Intertainia.com *********** Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com *******************************************************
I know that I am going to cause a stir here but here goes. A hand held spray bottle of gasoline works great when set at stream setting It's quite accurate. Obviously, the method is ecologically unfriendly and unhealthy for careless folks. But it works and leaves little or no residue after 4 hours. Even at $2 a gallon, it's economically feasible. Sorry to cause a stir.

Ya but . . I agree with the informed folks who replied, but please consider that an effective crabgrass preventer is long blade turf. That is to simply say that the neighbors who have the most crabgrass over the years are those who mow their lawn too short. A denser /longer turf shades out and helps deny germination. Just a thought. Once again, I don't contradict the wisdom of the nice gardeners who replied. Mine is just and add on.