Help...renovating shade area

I plan to try to renovate the shady area of my lawn in late August. I'd appreciate suggestions.

Here's the situation...I'm in a borderline Mason-Dixon climate where most nothern grasses don't do well and turf-type tall fescue is the main recommended grass. However, I have irrigation (plenty of free water) and have considered bluegrass or other finer fescues.

My soil seems too compacted and poor in some spots. The current grass is ok...just too thin. Weeds are only about 1%. Perhaps I should get my biggest tree thinned out a bit for it's health and to get more light on the yard.

I would love help getting a plan of action together.

Thanks.

HtH

Reply to
Heidi the Horrible

How many sg ft are you talking about in the shade area's, Heidi?

Reply to
Steveo

About 1000 to 1500 I would guess.

HtH

Reply to
Heidi the Horrible

That's about the same size shade area I battle with here in Ohio. I brought in decent topsoil, added some organics and seed it twice a year with a rye/fine fescue blend. I use 10-18-10 fertilizer there and -never- put pre-emergent down.

You mentioned you have a free water source, I water my shade area at least 1 to 2 inches per week.

It's a never ending battle, and pruning your tree as you suggested would help.

If all else fails, consider replacing the turf with shade tolerant ground covers.

Reply to
Steveo

What "organics" would you put down ?

Would a rye/fine fescue blend survive here ? I'm about the same climate as extreme southern Ohio...say Cincinati or Louisville. Bermuda grows here in the sun...but barely.

Thanks.

HtH

Reply to
Heidi the Horrible

Tall fescue is not suited to shade areas. Most shade mixes rely on varieties like creeping red fescue and other fine fescues. I'd go with a high quality shade mix. I've used Johnathon Green Shady Nook and Dense shade with good results. The denser the shade, the tougher it is to grow grass.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

No kidding..that's why I said fine fescue.

Reply to
Steveo

I added aged manure and bails of peat moss..shallow tilled it in.

I'd try it..with the shade and your irrigation the soil temp should be lowered enough to allow it.

Reply to
Steveo

Thanks for the newsflash. What do you trade?

Reply to
Steveo