Help! My new lawn is dying!

Hi Guys,
I laid a brand new lawn about two months ago, using turf from a reputable dealer.
I cleared and levelled the ground, and laid the turf on top. I carefully watered it every couple of days. Within a few weeks bare patches started to appear, and now the bare patches are about equal with what grass is left. I laid a similar lawn on much worse ground a few years ago with perfect results, so I don't understand what I've done wrong.
Help!
Thanks.

You may want to call a professional.
--
GO# 40

Have you asked the dealer? They might send someone to check it out.
Bob

I was always told when you get turf, you have to water it much more then seed. Soaking it twice a day for the first 2 weeks or so until it establishes itself.

I heard the same thing, since the roots are short, and the top layer of soil drys quickly, frequent watering was required.
later,
tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

There is a very fine line to walk when irrigating new sod. You don't want to soak new sod until it is soggy. If the grass is too wet, the abundance of water tells the grass "don't bother to grow roots, there is plenty of water", or something to that effect. I laid 4,500 sf of zoysia exactly 2 weeks ago (to go with the other 7,500 sf I've already got). I watered moderately 2x a day - once before dawn, and the other time just before noon. This kept the soil moist during the day, but allowed it to dry out somewhat overnight, which encourages the roots to grow, so they can find moisture.
The sod is surprisingly well rooted now, and I am cutting back on the watering. In the past, I tended to over water and the sod took twice as long to root well.
KB
Kyle Boatright wrote:

Sounds right to me. You want to keep it moist at all times for about the first month, but not soggy and drenched. If it's Spring/Fall, that's probably 2X a day. If it's hotter and sunny, then more frequently. Sounds like the OP was not watering enough.
Also, hard to tell from "clearing" what soil prep work was done.
The OP should get a hold of the sod supplier and also a local ag extension agent, if available.
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:24:33 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"

Good point about watering, you don't want a swamp.
Just thinking about it, wouldn't you feed the yard with a fertilizer that promots root growth to speed up the process?
later,
tom

And we can all analyze this to death. Until some minute details and observation of those of watering, how much irrigation and how often, dry periods if any from mother nature, elevations, fertilizers in relation to soil analysis, soil layers, underlying dead growth, actual soil analysis, insect/mold/etc.; we're reaching in the dark. And that would be at best a guess. A brief look and feel would probably get a better guess of it.
--
Jonny