Help - Insects ate my pumpkin (with photo)

I started to plant pumpkin in my backyard, and recently I discovered the leafs of the pumpkin got eaten by some kind of insects. please see photo below:

kind of insects are they? anyone knows? the is pretty scary because they ate it so fast, just overnight it ate half of the leaf.. any solution? help....

Reply to
Small Business

It looks like slugs (or snails). Get some 'slug bait' (power) from the garden shop and sprinkle around the base of your plants to stop them buggers in thier tracks. Yes, the hungry ones eat fast!

Larry

Reply to
Larry

You should go out at night with a flashlight for a good look.

Three things which might tatter pumpkin leaves that way, feeding in the night:

Earwigs -- they hide during the day and only come out at night. Can be killed very easily by a direct hit with spray of insecticidal soap when they are feeding at night.

Cucumber beetles -- these feed mainly at night, and hide during the day in the leaf buds or along the stems at the soil line. They can be made to fly during the day when you brush the plants. Various insecticides are used for control.

Slugs -- hide during the day and feed at night. Leave slime trails. Can be trapped with manufacturer or home-made traps, or controled with slug baits (including pet-safe iron phosphate based formulations, such as the brand name Sluggo Slug and Snail Bait).

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz