Help identifying a plant

Was wondering if I could get some help identifying a plant...I believe it's a perennial planted by a previous homeowner. Sorry the pic is a little fuzzy, but it should be clear enough to identify the plant. I'm just curious as to whether this is going to explode into glorious color, or start devouring small animals. :-)
Thanks in advance.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid%513258108&photoid 513258108
MPost said:

Explode into color (possibly shocking orange). Looks like a poppy blossom.

Agreed. Looks like it has another two weeks before it blossoms if it's like my own poppies.
-- Tom
Great. Thanks for the help.

Looks exactly like a poppy blossom. I hope it's a "legal" poppy blossom or that you live somewhere that all poppies are legal.
Dick
Thanks to all who helped me out identifying my last plant. I have 2 more that I could use some hints on:
This is a shrub about 6 feet tall, and quite spindly (perhaps because it's being crowded out by another bush). The dried flower/seed head is from last year, and it's just starting to bud out this spring...quite late compared to everything else in my yard. http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid%513258108&photoidF594678108
This is a perennial that is about 2 feet tall, also not very full. I think this is because it gets almost no sun. Flowers are nice, but I only get 3-4 on this plant. http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid%513258108&photoidv594678108&&refreshkey 17491036860
Thanks in advance.
MPost wrote:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid%513258108&photoidF594678108
http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid%513258108&photoidv594678108&&refreshkey 17491036860 The second looks like a (miniature) dahlia.
MPost said:

Does this die back to the ground? Or does it regrow on wood above ground? The seed pod looks to be either a rose mallow (Hibiscus moscheutos) if it dies back to the ground or rose of sharon (Hibicus syriacus) in the other case. Either are usually slow to sprout out in the spring.
rose of sharon (includes photo of seed pods): http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek040622.html
rose mallow (includes photo of seed pod): http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/6707.html /

This is some member of the Composite family. (It would help to have a picture of the leaves.) This could be a doubled Rudbeckia ("Golden glow") or a double Coreopsis, but I lean toward "Golden Glow." (I discount Dahlia as Dahlia's aren't winter hardy in cold-winter areas.)
Golden glow: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/65950 /

All,
Thanks for the help identifying these plants.
Rose of Sharon sounds right on the money for the first plant (the pic of the seed pod). It doesn't die back to the ground during the winter.
As for the yellow flower, here are a few pics of the leaves.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid%513258108&photoidy120329108 http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid%513258108&photoid 120329108&&refreshkey17629507883
Timothy suggested this might be a kerria which, after looking at some pictures on-line, looks like it might fit my plant. It looks like the kerrias prefer partial shade, which means I shouldn't transplant it into a brighter area as I was planning on. However, I'm at a loss as to what I can do to get this plant to grow a little more vigorously...it doesn't seem too happy where it is.
Thoughts? Thanks

MPost said:

the leaves and flowers, kerria it is.
The nicest specimens I've seen have been at the edge of high tree canopies (bright, dappled shade with some direct morning or evening sun) and uncrowded by other shrubs.

Pat,
Thanks for the confirmation. It's funny...my kerria is so small and spindly, I wasn't sure it was a shrub either. I think I may move it after all to a place that is not quite so shady.
Thanks again.

On Mon, 30 May 2005 18:11:02 -0400, MPost wrote:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid%513258108&photoidF594678108
http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid%513258108&photoidv594678108&&refreshkey 17491036860
The first description sounds like a kerria and the second photo _looks_ like a kerria flower.
http://images.google.com/images?q=kerria&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images
--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com