Help identifying a plant

Was wondering if I could get some help identifying a plant...I believe it's a perennial planted by a previous homeowner. Sorry the pic is a little fuzzy, but it should be clear enough to identify the plant. I'm just curious as to whether this is going to explode into glorious color, or start devouring small animals. :-)

Thanks in advance.

MPost

Explode into color (possibly shocking orange). Looks like a poppy blossom.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Agreed. Looks like it has another two weeks before it blossoms if it's like my own poppies.

-- Tom

Reply to
- Tom -

Great. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
MPost

Looks exactly like a poppy blossom. I hope it's a "legal" poppy blossom or that you live somewhere that all poppies are legal.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Thanks to all who helped me out identifying my last plant. I have 2 more that I could use some hints on:

This is a shrub about 6 feet tall, and quite spindly (perhaps because it's being crowded out by another bush). The dried flower/seed head is from last year, and it's just starting to bud out this spring...quite late compared to everything else in my yard.

is a perennial that is about 2 feet tall, also not very full. I think this is because it gets almost no sun. Flowers are nice, but I only get 3-4 on this plant.
in advance.

Reply to
MPost

second looks like a (miniature) dahlia.

Reply to
Stubby

Does this die back to the ground? Or does it regrow on wood above ground? The seed pod looks to be either a rose mallow (Hibiscus moscheutos) if it dies back to the ground or rose of sharon (Hibicus syriacus) in the other case. Either are usually slow to sprout out in the spring.

rose of sharon (includes photo of seed pods):

mallow (includes photo of seed pod):

a picture of the leaves.) This could be a doubled Rudbeckia ("Golden glow") or a double Coreopsis, but I lean toward "Golden Glow." (I discount Dahlia as Dahlia's aren't winter hardy in cold-winter areas.)

Golden glow:

Pat Kiewicz

The first description sounds like a kerria and the second photo _looks_ like a kerria flower.

Timothy

All,

Thanks for the help identifying these plants.

Rose of Sharon sounds right on the money for the first plant (the pic of the seed pod). It doesn't die back to the ground during the winter.

As for the yellow flower, here are a few pics of the leaves.

?collid=25513258108&photoid=99120329108&&refreshkey=1117629507883Timothy suggested this might be a kerria which, after looking at some pictures on-line, looks like it might fit my plant. It looks like the kerrias prefer partial shade, which means I shouldn't transplant it into a brighter area as I was planning on. However, I'm at a loss as to what I can do to get this plant to grow a little more vigorously...it doesn't seem too happy where it is.

Thoughts? Thanks

Reply to
MPost

AH, I thought the second was a perennial plant, not another shrub. By the leaves and flowers, kerria it is.

The nicest specimens I've seen have been at the edge of high tree canopies (bright, dappled shade with some direct morning or evening sun) and uncrowded by other shrubs.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Pat,

Thanks for the confirmation. It's funny...my kerria is so small and spindly, I wasn't sure it was a shrub either. I think I may move it after all to a place that is not quite so shady.

Thanks aga>>

Reply to
MPost