growing new lawn on compost

My existing lawn is in bad shape and someone who has a great garden suggested to me to use compost. He suggested a thick (6-8 inches) of compost and then over-seed. I can get compost from the municipal dump for free. Would this scheme work? I don't really want to spend the money and energy on the existing lawn.

thanks.

Reply to
swing2k

I suppose a little compost would help but 6-8 inches ? LOL How big is your lawn ? What is causing the problem ? Do you have a 16 wheel dumptruck ?

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

yourlawn? What is causing the problem ? Do you have a 16 wheel dumptruck ?

The lawn is 1/4 acre. The lawn has moss, brown patches, and weeds -- all the good stuffs. There are many mature trees that block the sun and their roots are quite shallow. So, rather than tilling the soil, I was thinking about putting new top soil and then this person suggested a lot of compost will even be better.

Reply to
swing2k

If the yard is as shady as your post suggests, turfgrass will probably always do poorly. Unless you really need turf grass because of child play areas or homeowner association requirements, consider shade-compatible alternatives to sod. I had one home in Alabama with numerous slash pines which kept the lawn in complete shade year-round, and a previous tenant had planted the entire area in ivy. The only care that was required was to go around every six months or so and keep the ivy off the trees -- no mowing required. I've done the same thing here in Central Florida, where I'm using Boston Ivy in shaded areas. It doesn't take very many plants, just some time to fill in everywhere.

If you put down six inches of compost, you'll probably also solve your problem, but it'll take a longer time. That much compost will put most trees into decline and eventually kill them. That'll bring sunlight back to your yard and then you'll be able to grow grass -- but it'll take a few years, and you'll have to dispose of the dead trees -- :-)

Reply to
JimR

yourlawn? What is causing the problem ? Do you have a 16 wheel dumptruck ?

a selective prune of the trees from someone who knows what they are doing will help the lawn, though maybe not solve all the problems, at least give a new lawn a better start.

rob

Reply to
George.com