growing Lavender

anyone here got any experience with growing Lavender?
Jim said:

In a bed? In a container? What cultivar?
Give it lots-o-sun. =)
--

Eggs

One nice thing about egotists... they don't talk about other people.
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

I want to try them first in a bed.

if they smell as good as I've been lead to believe then I want to try transplanting them from the bed into containers.

I'm still researching that. looking into what will do well in central NC. I'm doing some web searches [ask.com] and was hoping you'd be the one to impart with what knowledge you possess on this topic.

yes.
what soil type and preferred drainage do they like?

Jim said:

If it's a large area, you can get by with fewer plants and soil-layer them at planting. They layer quite well.

Rather than transplant, just take cuttings from either softwood or semi-hardwood. Most people would try something in a container first, /then/ in a bed, imo. Lavender does well in either, though. Mine went from hayracks on my deck, to the mailbox.
As far as aromatics go, I prefer Jasmine (specifically J. nitidum) in a container on my deck. The fragrance is much more "intoxicating". In your zone, it would even do much better than mine (5b). May be something else you want to try. =)

Lavandula angustifolia would be a good choice for starters. You may also find it aka L. vera or L. officinalis. The flowers are quite fragrant, and most likely the one you're "thinking of". It's fairly low maintainance. After mine bloom, I deadhead them, and usually get a second bloom. In the early spring, I'll prune them back to about 8-10" just to keep them in a nice shape. This isn't necessary, though. I do mine because they're in a "mailbox garden". It's a bit more of a "formal" location. It's water needs are fairly low, and it's not a heavy feeder.

pH anywhere from 6.1 to 8.5 (mildy acidic to alkaline) should do fine. I'm pretty sure you should have that covered, HEH. Make sure the soil drains well. It doesn't like really wet conditions.
--

Eggs

A watched clock never boils.
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

[....]
[....]
Eggs, thanks for the information you've conveyed and confirmed for me concerning my newest endeavor to grow produce and sell Lavender. correct and accurate knowledge is the key to success.
as for Jasmine, my place is already loaded with that sweet scent producer.
Jim said:

Good luck, dood. =)

=)
--

Eggs

-I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.