Growing cherry tree from seed.

I have a cherry tree in my back yard. It produces tiny cherries. They are about 1/4" in diameter. Around here, (the deep south), rumor has it these cherries make the best "cherry bounce" ( a homemade wine). The cherries are delicious. The birds think so, too. I have never seen so many mockingbirds in one tree. They gorged themselves and picked the tree clean in two days. A woman who is a manager at a local nursery found out I had the tree, and asked her daughter to get some seeds from me. Second hand story, but the trees are not available for sale, and this is only one she has come across. I gave her 40-50 seeds, I saved some for myself. What is the best way to germinate these seeds to produce healthy trees? Thanks. Perry bentcajungirl If there is a better newsgroup for this question, kindly point me in that direction.
Some people would propagate the tree by trimming a young branch ( 1st year twig ) and use some rooting hormone. The resulting tree would emerge faster than by seed and guarantee an exact replica of the original tree dna - Cloning at its best. Consider getting rooting hormone from your local nursery. Remember to use a deep pot to start the new sapling in - unless you are going to root it directly in the soil.